Disconnecting external siren of old Wickes wired alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Wickes wired burglar alarm which I fitted many years ago and it's still working. I haven't set it for a while, but its powered up, in day mode. I returned home today to find shards of plastic on my doorstep. One whole side of the external siren box had dropped off. It crumbled in my hands, degraded, I imagine, by sunlight.

Over the years I have changed the battery in the control unit a couple of times, but never the one in the external box (is it replaceable?) And now the inside of the box is open to the elements. It also has a blue strobe light attached.

Before I replace the siren box, or get it replaced, can I safely disconnect it without the siren sounding (or at least sounding only briefly)?

Or do I need to disconnect the whole system?

If the former, should I disconnect the siren from inside the control unit?

Or do I have to go up a ladder and do it there?

Or both?

Whatever the answer, I have the original installation manual (some scans attached) so I should be able to work out which wires need to be disconnected - though some pointers from anyone familiar with the system would be appreciated.

Thanks.

IMG_6340e.jpg
Wickes alarm 1.jpg
Wickes alarm 2.jpg
Wickes alarm 3.jpg
Wickes alarm 4.jpg
Wickes alarm 5.jpg

Sponsored Links
Most bell boxes available on the market will be able to connect to your system.
Firstly Disconnect bell inside control panel,if it does not ring then just replace Bell box.
Your original bell box is made of polypropylene and breaks down with sun light. New bell boxes are made of polycarbonate, but not affected the same with sun but will lose the colour.Dont buy red colour boxes as these go pink in time time.

Most bell boxes available on the market will be able to connect to your system.
Firstly Disconnect bell inside control panel,if it does not ring then just replace Bell box.
Your original bell box is made of polypropylene and breaks down with sun light. New bell boxes are made of polycarbonate, but not affected the same with sun but will lose the colour.Dont buy red colour boxes as these go pink in time time.
Thanks. And if does ring when I disconnect it inside the control panel, what then?

Am I right in thinking that it SHOULD ring if the system is operating correctly?

And if it doesn't, it means that the battery in the bell box is defunct?

If it rings when you Disconnect it,then you need ladders to silence or reconnect to stop.
Should ring when Disconnected, but age of bell box would suggest SAB will be faulty.
Look at Pyronix delta bell range of bell boxes to replace unit.

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought, but just to be clear:
If it does sound when I disconnect at the control panel and either I re-connect and go up the ladder with it off - which would be preferable - or I don't re-connect and go up the ladder with it sounding, what should I disconnect when I get up there, bearing in mind that in the first case there will still be power going to the box?

Thanks for the suggestion for a replacement. I had just been looking at a Texecom Premier Odyssey 1E but I guess they're all much the same.
But the simpler the better....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back