Disconnecting shower/capping pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old Mira Sport shower in a downstairs bathroom which we no longer use. However I've noticed there is water leaking from the bottom of the unit. We had this same problem some years ago and had a new unit fitted. I have turned the electrics off at the fuse box which supply the shower, for now I would just like to prevent any nasty water surprises by disconnecting the unit and either capping the pipe or fitting an isolating valve. I am very much a DIY novice though, so wonder if I ought to call a plumber or whether this is relatively simple task, even to a novice. Picture attached. I'm assuming the brass fitting which has "15" on it, plus the nut on top are part of the shower unit, so I would be looking to cap off the copper pipe that comes down into it. I previously attempted to cap an unused pipe with no luck as water came p***ing out of it afterwards so I'm a bit reluctant to attempt this unless it is dead easy and someone can advise of the correct cap fitting to use, a quick google talks about compression end caps?
Thanks in advance.
20131005_213357_resized.jpg

Sponsored Links
In your photo, the copper pipe leading up and back from the brass fitting that says "15" on it seems to connect to a chrome fitting, partly obscured by the green wire in the photo, that's partially in the wall. Is it possible that that is an isolation valve with a screwdriver slot in it? It may just be a coupling or a tee or something, but if it's actually a valve then you have a very easy solution.

Thanks for your reply, I don't believe it is a valve, unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back