discriminating against travellers

So because a few travellers steal from us they are inviting racism towards the whole lot?
Again another thread born from ignorance , does anyone here know any travellers? Yet most are happy to form an opinion based only on what they have seen in the news , read in the papers and heard from other ignorant people.

My views are formed mostly from what I have seen first hand, and I have met and spoke to lots of travellers. Your view seems to be that everyone should be treated as an individual regardless of what group they're in, and we should not draw conclusions from the crowd they hang around in. Fact of the matter is, when people live in a travelling community they tend to live according to the rules of that community. Same for drug addicts. Stereotypes are not always incorrect and are sometimes useful.

Sponsored Links
So because a few travellers steal from us they are inviting racism towards the whole lot?
In as much as travellers wish to live their lives under a different cultural and modus operandi and thus a different racial system then yes, we are as entitled to consider their stereotypical aspects in the same way that one can refer to traits of the Welsh, English, Scots, French, German for example or even different social or religious classes. After all, how we treat and view them is affected by how they treat us and vice versa.
Again another thread born from ignorance , does anyone here know any travellers? Yet most are happy to form an opinion based only on what they have seen in the news , read in the papers and heard from other ignorant people.
I have suggested that empirical rather than anecdotal evidence should be discussed. As it is, one can only refer to the Representative's views in the original article as a starting point for discussion.

With respect, thatbloke, you have made claims about other poster's limited level and knowledge and their source material. I might have missed something you have already posted, but perhaps you would like to provide this thread with some evidence which demonstrates your deeper level of knowledge than those you are accusing.

I know a few from contracting to a local authourity and working on their STATIC sites, so much for travellers.
Thievs from an early age, you cannot put your tools down. Leave the car/van open and deffo not leave the keys in it.

What actual experience have you had?

I know a few from contracting to a local authourity and working on their STATIC sites, so much for travellers.
Thievs from an early age, you cannot put your tools down. Leave the car/van open and deffo not leave the keys in it.

Very little really. I was ripped off once by accepting their offer for litter removal from outside my house, but it was my own fault and could have been ripped off by anyone through my youthful naivety. So I can't hold this against them nor extrapolate towards a bigger picture.

Sponsored Links
I dont understand ,Do you need me to prove to you that it is wrong to generalise about an entire , large group of people based on a few that you have met and how this few treated you?
Do you believe in an eye for an eye, do you think that a few people generalise about you and your kind so you can do the same about them?

I notice that my post suggesting you remove the word Gypsie and substitute black or Asian has been removed. Why is it OK to slag off the Gypsie races?

Here in Derby, there has been an illegal campsite for around 6 or 7 yrs. The local council are in the process of building a proper site for them. Those that choose to move on to it, will be expected to pay rent, electricity, water, council tax etc. When the site is finished, it will be interesting to see how many of these "travellers" actually move on to it.
At the moment, they pay nothing for the illegal site (although it costs the council thousands of pounds every month moving the rubbish etc they create). These travellers contribute nothing, zero, zilch, towards these costs, therefore do you think any of them are likely to move on to a legal site, where they have to pay?

There's legal camp in Newark - not that far from Derby. It's been almost empty for years.

Before quoting the travellers in the piece, it'd be nice to get their N.I. number. If they're in the system and paying their way, they'd have a lot more leverage against the anti brigade.

No, there is a fact. One based on experience.
Why try doing a m moody, your not good enough.

See I dont get it , you say they are static and ''so much for travellers'' yet because of us (our society) they have nowhere to go.We wish them to be ''static'', which is like wishing a fish not to swim.
And because of this we have influenced their lifestyles so much that there is very little left.
If you care to read about the history of the Romany Gypsies and the way they have been treated through out the years you may hold them in a different light.
There is plenty on the net about them.

They are all heading over here to sample the benefit system. What more do we need to know?

Sponsored Links
Back