discriminating against travellers

I dont understand ,Do you need me to prove to you that it is wrong to generalise about an entire , large group of people based on a few that you have met and how this few treated you?
Do you believe in an eye for an eye, do you think that a few people generalise about you and your kind so you can do the same about them?
So, to clarify the situation, you are saying that it is entirely wrong to make generalisations about stereotypical behaviour patterns about groups of people who decide to live within those groups and according to those lifestyles?

With regard to my personal epxeriences with travellers, I have chronicled this already and have stated that I have no beef, so I'm not sure precisely to what you are alluding.

As for the "eye for an eye" bit of your post, with respect it is entirely natural for one group to compare their perceived strengths and weaknesses with other groups with an eye for an improved understanding of how one might interact more profitably or, should it be necessary, to defend oneself. Why is this wrong? Why are you assuming negative aspersions in this discussion?

Sponsored Links
Because they are freeloading thieves.

Now there is your real face right there.

mine too......... totally concur with alarm's comments

I've known a few socially, they are human and nice enough to have a drink with, but i wouldn't want them anywhere near my property or personal life.

and i certainly wouldn't want to get on the worng side of one either - i'd add violent to the list of traits.

When I worked for our local council,,, I was sent to a house (that was actually 2 semi detached, knocked into one) A family of Irish travellers had decided to put down roots. First question I was asked as I walked through the door was "Have you got any fags mister?",,,,,, This, by a 10yr old. As soon as I had put my toolbox down, the kids were all over it. Had to take it back out to the van and lock it in it, despite assurances from the "man of the house" that kids were just interested, loik.
Yeah right,
They had 2 caravans in the garden and driveway (both occupied) (+ the obligatory, taxless, transit vans parked on the road) and were constantly moaning, that the council were trying to evict them because, the rent wasn't paid and the two caravans (which were "so obviously unoccupied.").. ("the caravans only have the curtains drawn, at night, to deter thieves!!!!)
Once I had re-fitted the 3 doors that were off the hinges (through abuse) I left, only to be confronted by one of their neighbours, complaining that he couldn't get any repairs done, yet these lot only had to phone up and have someone out the next day.
Yep and thatbloke , thinks we're being unfair and racist?

I know countless other recollections of council tenants complaining of services (yet getting a better service than indigenous British people)
Am I being racist??? I don't think so,,, I have seen inequality with council services, and it's almost always the Brits who have lost out.
So are we a nation of racists? I don't think so. Us Brits see other races/groups, receiving preferential treatment and if we complain about it, we are accused of racism. Utter tosh.... Us Brits are always the only ones to stand in an orderly queue, try to treat everyone equally, but some groups/races take the proverbial p**s

Sponsored Links
If you tar an entire race with the same brush based on only a limited experience with this race then yes , you are being racist.
There are an awful lot of people tarring the gypos with that same brush, based on their collective experience.
I know gypsies who breed horses and have made their fortune by doing so, they do not steal , they are very respectable people.
They don't come over here though do they, so people here won't have met their type. Just the more common of garden dirty thieving scumbag ones that we see.

You see what you want to see Sooey, they come over here quite regularly , do a lot of work around Newmarket however you woulodnt think they were travellers, or gypsies, what ever you wish to call them.

The point I was making was that they are not representative of the gypo's everybody complains about. As such they are irrelevant to this discussion.

The trouble with anecdotal evidence is that it can paint a completely unrepresentative figure. For example, I worked in an innner city school a few years ago as a teaching assistant and the system seemed to spend about 75% of it's time dealing with the miscreant 5% of the overall population who seemed hell bent on destroying every lesson they were in and the working environment. So the first impression of nearly every class I went into was that it was loud and unruly with a load of poor behaviour (bear in mind that my job meant by definition that I would be in these classes and not in the quiet ones). On this basis it would be all too easy to label every person in those teaching groups as a hoodlum or indeed the whole school as a "sink" school running out of control. And yet the school's headline figure was 80+% achieving 5+ A-C grades, which paints a completely different picture.

That's why I earlier suggested that the only way that a fair comparison can be made would be if we could look beyond the anecdotal and instead try to find more expansive data.

(And for the benefit of thatbloke, again I feel that there is nothing wrong or unusual in looking at the aspects of that school and comparing it with others - I think that's what most parents tend to do anyway)

Or indeed every silver lining has a cloud :LOL:

As you point out in the "moaning" thread, people on here like to have a moan (on here, anyway - after all we don't want to paint a big picture from such small evidence ;) ). So, if they want to look at crime rates for example, it would be useful if the statistics for all social groups could be quoted- who knows, it is entirely possible that on percentage terms travellers might commit fewer offences than, say, white Welsh ex-miners. What would that say about our druid friends LOL

But what aspects would they look at , the good or bad? People by nature seem to look only at the negative things and form opinions based on their findings.
You are right , we do need to look for evidence through a broader spectrum and try not to become blinkered through observing negativity only, every cloud has a silver lining.
Sure there`s notin wrong wi oirish travellers . Just the same as any traveller

Sponsored Links
Back