Tired of cheese eating plebs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anne Widdecombe just continuing Tory mantra of punch down politics.

Don't eat cheese sandwiches if you cannot afford it.

She blames rising inflation on wage rises when that as usual is a complete lie - we are suffering from cost push inflation not demand pull - basic economics either she knows and is lying or so wedded to her stupid beliefs that she thinks all inflation is the wage price spiral.

Ann Widdecombe has told people to not make cheese sandwiches if they cannot afford to buy the ingredients as a way to deal with the ongoing cost of living crisis.

The politician, who is a member of the Reform UK party, was asked what she would advise people faced with the spiralling costs of basic food items on a panel discussing BBC research that showed the price of a homemade cheese sandwich has shot up by a third in the past year to 40p.

On the Politics Live programme, the former Brexit Party MEP said: “You don't do the cheese sandwich.”

She added there was no “given right” to low food prices and spoke of how farmers would “constantly” complain to her about supermarket pricing when she was Conservative MP for Maidstone.

“The only way this is going to be tackled is if inflation is going to come down,” Ms Widdecombe said. “You will not get inflation coming down if you continue to have inflationary wage rises.

Sponsored Links
Apart from salt and pepper sandwiches, is there any other filling that is cheaper than cheese?

Any interview with a tory about cost of living and food can be summarised as: "we don't care, it's only poor people that are suffering, we can still afford steak and champagne".

Sponsored Links
Talking of cheese, they used it as an example on Newsnight last night when discussing the food price crisis. Based on a £2.50 piece of cheese, once all costs in the supply chain had been met, there was 3.something pence profit to be shared between retailer and supplier.

Re Widdecombe's comments, part of the challenge is these discussions/debates are so complex and multi-layered. On the one hand you could argue yes, it's logical to say if you can't afford product x then don't buy it, simple. On the other hand, you could argue what the feck's going on when people in full-time employment can't afford product x, especially if it's common place and not (in the true sense of the word) expensive or a luxury.

However it's not as straightforward as that. We also have things in the mix like people not being good at money-management and/or prioritising the wrong things. However it's increasingly frowned upon to talk about things like that, when it's easier to simply blame the government for everything. Don't get me wrong, I don't underplay the part they have to play in the current feck up, however we seem to talk less and less about personal responsibility.

And before anyone thinks about jumping down my throat, I'm well aware there are many people struggling out there who are doing everything right in terms of managing their money etc and they're still up against it.

Last edited:
Talking of cheese, they used it as an example on Newsnight last night when discussing the food price crisis. Based on a £2.50 piece of cheese, once all costs in the supply chain had been met, there was 3.something pence profit to be shared between retailer and supplier.

Re Widdecombe's comments, part of the challenge is these discussions/debates are so complex and multi-layered. On the one hand you could argue yes, it's logical to say if you can't afford product x then don't but it, simple. On the other hand, you could argue what the feck's going on when people in full-time employment can't afford product x, especially if it's common place and not (in the true sense of the word) expensive or a luxury.

However it's not as straightforward as that. We also have things in the mix like people not being good at money-management and/or prioritising the wrong things. However it's increasingly frowned upon to talk about things like that, when it's easier to simply blame the government for everything. Don't get me wrong, I don't underplay the part they have to play in the current feck up, however we seem to talk less and less about personal responsibility.

And before anyone thinks about jumping down my throat, I'm well aware there are many people struggling out there who are doing everything right in terms of managing their money etc and they're still up against it.
We never had a pot to p¡ss in when I was growing up, there were 9 of us but we didn't go blaming the government if the cheese was too dear.

There's too much snowflakery these days.

We never had a pot to p¡ss in when I was growing up, there were 9 of us but we didn't go blaming the government if the cheese was too dear.

There's too much snowflakery these days.

Looks like you drunk the p-iss.

What is snowflakery?

we didn't go blaming the government if the cheese was too dear.
I don't think the issue is going blaming the government, the issue is the government talking like a cheese sandwich is some sort of luxury item that can be replaced with something cheaper. If families in full time work can't afford cheese sandwiches, there really isn't much else available. This is the governments fault, as they set minimum wages and employment law, so can enforce change.

While minimum wage has just about matched food inflation, it is a long way off fuel and energy inflation, so poorer families are still finding it even harder to put food on the table.

4m British children live in food poverty. My wife works in a school and it is not uncommon for teaching assistants to pop to the local shop to buy sandwiches for kids that are so hungry they can't concentrate in class.

there really isn't much else available
What's wrong with sugar, salad cream, brown sauce, lard,yes lard.
I saw people eating thiose things and they weren't going around crying because they can't afford cheese.

What's wrong with sugar, salad cream, brown sauce, lard,yes lard.
I saw people eating thiose things and they weren't going around crying because they can't afford cheese.
Lard is probably more expensive that cheap cheese these days (I CBA to check)

This sums it up.

1684339933825.png

I'm having cheese on my chilli tonight but it's not all about the cheese

It's not lard it's "dripping", & spread on bread with a wet knifes wipe of brown sauce it is considered a delicacy in certain areas.

Sponsored Links
Back