Discrimination ruling in the high court

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the radio yesterday a ruling by the high court said that the segregation of boys and girls as practised in some (all ?) Islamic faith schools in the U.K amounts to discrimination and is illegal

Sponsored Links
This seems to be more than classroom segregation of sexes:

'The school is teaching boys and girls entirely separately, making them walk down separate corridors, and keeping them apart at all times.'

This seems an ideological reason not educational as justified in the diamond model of coed schools.

not even allowed on the same transport , buses , coaches , in the same canteens or dining rooms.

Sponsored Links
Interesting point - also from the news article -

"However, the court did not accept the argument the school's policy had disadvantaged girls more than boys."

so, does that mean it is thought that they treat (or disadvantage ???) boys and girls equally?
If so, how can that be discrimination and therefore illegal.

A failed attempt at political correctness?

Interesting point - also from the news article -

"However, the court did not accept the argument the school's policy had disadvantaged girls more than boys."

so, does that mean it is thought that they treat (or disadvantage ???) boys and girls equally?
If so, how can that be discrimination and therefore illegal.

A failed attempt at political correctness?

As I understand it, the discrimination is this:

"This is discrimination and is wrong. It places these boys and girls at a disadvantage for life beyond the classroom and the workplace, and fails to prepare them for life in modern Britain"

That it might do because of its very nature - stupid religion - though not because of the reasons stated nor any different than a Catholic girls' school.

That it might do because of its very nature - stupid religion - though not because of the reasons stated nor any different than a Catholic girls' school.

I suppose if singe sex schools are allowed, then of course no segregation is possible within the school.

I guess its different in a co-ed school that creates complete segregation. The diamond model segregation is just the classroom teaching to improve education quality, especially girls.

AFAIK, official regulation of religion-oriented schools has long been curiously lax.
https://www.theguardian.com/educati...-religious-schools-unregulated-london-yeshiva

Some even educate in foreign language, which is very unhelpful for any young citizen who hopes to integrate into the wider community.

I thought it must be because the government doesn't like to be criticised by well-organised special-interest groups.

I suppose if singe sex schools are allowed, then of course no segregation is possible within the school.
That's a very curious logic.
The Islamic school is merely short of a building, then.

I guess its different in a co-ed school that creates complete segregation.
It would seem they're only segregating the girls.

The diamond model segregation is just the classroom teaching to improve education quality, especially girls.
They're discriminating against the boys, then.

It occurred to me that that school and others like it are just a factory churning out a product. And it's depressing.

That's a very curious logic.
The Islamic school is merely short of a building, then.

It would seem they're only segregating the girls.

They're discriminating against the boys, then.

I agree, it is curious logic.

I blame Ofsted and their arrogant attitude. They agreed with the schools policy until 2016.

What is difficult to understand is the difference between this and other schools where it has been accepted.

Or perhaps this landmark case means it isnt to be accepted?:

In a landmark decision, the appeal judges said: “It is common ground that the school is not the only Islamic school which operates such a policy and that a number of Jewish schools with a particular Orthodox ethos and some Christian faith schools have similar practices.”

Ofsted had made it clear, they said, that if this appeal succeeded, “it will apply a consistent approach to all similarly organised schools”

When did our UK edyukashion system begin to integrate the sexes then?

We work in 2 single sex schools , both boys schools, there are no girls there.

Sponsored Links
Back