Discussion regarding a Yale HSA6400 and custom CCTV / Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First off, I am an electrical engineer and computer scientist by trade, (I can design / program a lot of the micro-controllers and electronics in alarm / CCTV systems)

I have an existing custom made CCTV / Alarm system with the following features:

1. Event recording and uploading to remote server
2. GSM alerts directly to my mobile
3. Tamper checks on CCTV cameras
4. UPS powered for a few hours

It basically alerts me when someone is close to the property or in it (I can script various actions depending on the zone / size of the event etc)

At first I was thinking of making a custom alarm system with my own siren, but I decided against it for now (I might do at a later time!)

In the mean time I wanted a cheap an cheerful DIY alarm to set up and compliment my CCTV system. All I need is a bunch of PIRs and magnetic sensors to sound a siren and alert my own system.

I was thinking of making the following additions to the Yale kit, and this is where I want the opinion of people in here!

1. Outside, I will place a dummy siren (probably the one that comes with the kit, painted white so it shows no logo, and funny enough looks like the more expensive SmartHome one which is the same but white)

2. The real siren will go in the attic, in a slot that has a thin layer with the outside - so if it sounds it will be heard pretty well. This way the intruder cant go around and smash all the sirens.

3. The control panel will also be in the attic, and I will operate the system remotely or go up to the attic and program it if needed.

4. When the control panel "calls out", it will be connected to my PSTN card in my attic server, which will route the call to all it can (SMS, Push Alert to my phone, E-Mail, GSM Call)

5. I want to be able to arm/disarm using my mobile app / online panel I developed for use with my CCTV system. I read that the HSA6400 has a way of disabling it via PSTN? Then I could make a script to arm/disarm using whatever tones it needs.

I am looking for a sanity check that I didn't miss something with the way I am planning it basically, any feedback welcome, thanks

Sponsored Links
From a practical point of view I would place the siren outside the home not in the loft.

Three

1. The 6400 already has an internal siren in the control panel

2, If you place the siren where it cannot be reached it can't be smashed anyway

3. When activated the siren flashes leds so at night someone looking out of their window would see the lights which would then confirm where the alarm sound was coming from. In the loft these would not be seen and the muffling effect of the loft may make it difficult for people to either hear or distinguish where the sound was coming from.

On another issue.
Why add a computer and server into the equasion?

I presume you don't have a landline.

This system you are creating seems to have too many hurdles to reliable operation. What if the server goes down? The processor hangs -your system updates - your sofware is bugged - any component hardware failure. Your gsm card expires or the gsm signal is lost.

As far as the Siren, I should probably just buy another Live one and put it somewhere other than the front to calm my paranoia. What do you think about painting it white, worth it?

As far as the computer system, it doesn't rely on it per-say, I do have a PSTN and it will dial that normally, the computer is a way to merge my CCTV system alerts / alarms - and to disarm/arm it via my android app. Don't forget a DVR is basically a computer system. The specific box has been running (without reboot) for around:

12:02:21 up 780 days, 13:01, 2 users, load average: 0.08, 0.03, 0.03

It runs a stable Linux kernel, uses server grade hardware, fail-safe UPS, RAID hard disks (20 TB for CCTV storage).

The whole reason I wanted a GSM dialer is because our telephone wires are overground, they could easily snip the BT wire and electrical supply to the house (if they had the right equipment). It's a good idea though to consider finding a way for the control panel to dial the PSTN and GSM regardless of the PC instead of relying on a GSM card (there are some PSTN to GSM boxes about).

Thanks, any more feedback welcome!

I presume you have considered physical security first.
Secure doors / windows/ locks /gates security lights?

Otherwise all your security equipment will do is report after the event unless you are only a minute away.

Sponsored Links
Indeed I have, I was saving it for another topic but my door is a composite material, heavy, with plenty of metal inside, multi-point lock. Windows... you cant really do much because they could just break the glass. This happened to my neighbour, it took 8 hits (I woke up after 2 hits went outside and saw a man bashing the window). He made a small hole but by that time everyone woke up and he ran away.

It's a bungalow (unfortunatly), one front door, two front windows. It's semi detached but there is no way to access the garden save for jumping from the neighbours garden. For the rear I am improving the security by adding another layer (strong glass conservatory), making it harder to break through.

On the inside, I have one of these for the TV: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-TVB...373568124&sr=8-1&keywords=lockable+wall+mount

Plus, a secured cage for my computer. My laptop and mobile is always with me. I dont have any money in the house, and my cards are always on me.

I have a safe for any misc important things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back