Dishwasher First Time Use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right Guys,
I've plumbed in my dishwasher & now reading through the manuals before kicking off. I've bought a smeg slimline & reading through the very thick manual (written in bad english) am i to believe that after filling the salt compartment i then fill it with water? (the salt compartment). The manual, like i said, is confusing & i don't want to shag the unit before i've even washed a dish!! So, does that sound right?

Cheers
R.

Sponsored Links
If you dont fill it with water it will fill on the first wash.
I bought new dishwasher 2 months ago, was very disapointed with it, dirty plates, smears, it was c***. Read the manual AGAIN settings for rinse aid etc were wrong. Now its a new machine & brilliant.

thanks,
But how does it work? & what prevents all the salt being used up on the first wash??
Yes, i'll read the manual again.. & thanks for the tip on rinse settings,
but i guess it all depends on how hard the water is in your area, right?
regarding rinse aid, salt, smears etc etc.. & what determines how hard your water is? Water board? Street Gangs? Phil & Grant Mitchell?
:D

Thanks

It works like a miniature water softener. Some of the salt dissolves in the water and sodium then chemically bonds to resin built into the machine. The sodium is given up by the resin in exchange for calcium . It's the calcium that causes scale to build up in washing appliances and around taps etc.

The water company in your area should be able to tell you your water hardness.

The only whole house solution to hard water is to buy a water softener.

Sponsored Links
My BOSCH d/washer came with a water testing kit and based upon the results, I set the required level on the rinse aid selector. Been working brill in hard water area for 10 years. I guess Smeg don't have this funtion in their machines !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back