DIshwasher hook up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Just moved into a house and want to put a dishwasher in. The previous owners didn't have one but those previous to them did. I have removed the cabinet where the the pre-previous tenants had theirs and have got the space ready. I can cope with the water hookup and waste pipe but there is no plug at the back for the power. There is however a taped off pair of wires which i assume used to be the electricity supply for the dishwasher. My question is how safe is it to try and put a socket or wire the dishwasher directly to it? I have zero electrician experience so would I be mad to try and connect a socket to this wire? I would of course turn off all the power but am i missing something else that only an trained pro would spot?

Thanks in advance guys, this house owning stuff if really going to have my DIY skills improving in no time!

Sponsored Links
A taped up cable is not good, to be on the safe side DO NOT touch it until you can confirm if its live or dead and where its being fed from. As you mention you have no electrical experience, I assume you wont have a multimeter or anything like that. If this is the case I strongly suggest getting someone who is confident/experienced with electrics to help out or even better have an electrician come out and trace the cable and test it etc... and ensure its all safe to use.

Thanks to you both. Wise advice Omega and may well be what we do. I will post a photo when i get home.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back