Dishwasher Socket Under Countertop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am on the finishing stages of completely refitting our kitchen and have just realised that I may have made a slight mistake and would like some suggestions how to overcome it.

The electrics have all been done with a new kitchen ring main part of which is a socket under the countertop for the dishwasher with a 20A isolator switch above the countertop. When I planned it all I thought it was a good idea to have the socket behind the dishwasher so that if you pulled the dishwasher out the socket was accessible. However, in hindsight, this probably wasn't a good idea after all because with the plug in the socket the dishwasher probably won't go far enough back because the back of it will be against the plug.

It is too late now to change the wiring as the room has been plastered, cabinets are in place and the countertop is being fitted on Saturday. I havn't actually got the dishwasher yet so I'm only after contingency plans if it does prove to be a problem.

The two options I can think of are:

1. Replace the socket with an FCU and then cut the plug off of the Dishwasher and wire it directly into the FCU. Would this be acceptable practice?

2. Remove the socket and replace the cable from the switch with a longer one protruding from the socket back box and connect the cable to the socket surface mounted inside an adjacent cabinet. Luckily the cables are all in buried conduit so replacing the cable is no problem.

As I said before, this MAY not be an issue but I just wanted some ideas just in case it is a problem.

Thanks

Russell

Sponsored Links
Only thing with option 1 is it might cause problems with the guarantee?

Does a plug that's inserted into the socket protrude more than the water pipes that will be serving it?

you might find you need to move the socket to one side. Dishwashers have quite a small gap at the back for pipes and cables to pass at about skirting level. You can fit a flex outlet if you want, but it will make it a bit more difficult to take the appliance away when it is being replaced or repaired. If you replace the 20A switch with a switched FCU, then the switch and fuse are both easily accessible. It should have a DP switch as any repairman will want the appliance to be fully isolated before working on it

trial-fit the appliance with plug before you start doing any more work

The 'user friendly' way would be to extend wiring from behind appliance to inside a cupboard. Behind appliance join cable and fit blanking plate.

Get a large hole saw, drill hole into cupboard big enough to accomodate the fitted 13 amp plug.

Replacement of appliance will therefore not require any electrical changes.

The other way would be to change the 20 amp switches to 13 amp FCUs, and fit 20 amp flex outlets behind each appliance.
Problem with this is that it's not 'idiot proof' for removing and re-instating appliance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice. I must admit that I hadn't thought about the implications with the guarantee if I chopped the plug off.

The water supply pipe & drain outlet are in the adjacent undersink cupboard so the only obstruction behind the dishwasher will be the mains plug.

I think that the best option will be to have the socket surface mounted in an adjacent cupboard (not the sink one). This would be reletively easy to achieve. It's just really annoying when everything is nice and neat and then you have to start changing things later on.

Still, you live & learn. I'll stay optimistic and hope that it will be ok without any changes.

Thanks again

Russell

If it's a flush socket then the depth of this plus the plug won't be much more than the waste hose. I would advise measuring the depth you have available then check the dimenstions of your preferred d/w model before making any changes.

BTW if things almost but not quote fit you may be able to save a few mm by replacing the socket with a flat plate model.

Hi again,

well, I've got the dishwasher and it fits in a treat without any changes. Although the dishwasher specs said it was 60cm deep, it is only the top that is that deep as the back of the unit is set back a good 25mm leaving plenty of room for the cable, pipes and of course the plug :D

So, I was worrying about nothing as it turns out.

Thanks for all the advice though.

Russell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back