changes to socket- is this notifyable work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
recently had all the electrics replaced but found that where the socket has been fitted for the dishwasher its stopping it fitting under the unit correctly.

current set up is standard single gang socket underneath the worktop with a fused switch above the worktop (to be able to switch it off in an emergency if needed.

what i plan to do is either
1: move the socket thats under the cabinet 6 inches to the side behind the fridge where its not in the way (will need new cable to extend it this distance)
2: replace the socket under the counter with a 13A fused switch, cut the plug off the dishwasher cable and wire it directly in to it.

are either of the above classed as notifyable work and need a Part P electrician to modify it?
can anyone see any issues i'm not aware of with these.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
current set up is standard single gang socket underneath the worktop with a fused switch above the worktop (to be able to switch it off in an emergency if needed. what i plan to do is either
1: move the socket thats under the cabinet 6 inches to the side behind the fridge where its not in the way (will need new cable to extend it this distance)
2: replace the socket under the counter with a 13A fused switch, cut the plug off the dishwasher cable and wire it directly in to it.
(1) is fine. As for (2) if you are keeping the FCU (with a fuse) above the worktop, then you wouldn't need a second fuse/FCU below the worktop - just a 'flex outlet plate' would be adequate.
are either of the above classed as notifyable work and need a Part P electrician to modify it?
No (assuming you are in England).

Kind Regards, John

If the existing installation up to current requirements, then you will be fine to make some minor alterations, providing you can prove what you have done is safe!
I personally would go with the suggestion made by John(above post).
Change the socket outlet to a flex plate, remove the plug from the appliance and terminate the cables at the flex plate, the above worktop FCU, will deal with fuse rating and isolation. Much easier than relocating a socket outlet.

Cheers guys,

Yes in the UK
Yes it's up to current regs- complete rewrite only finished and signed off a month ago.

Just checked and the switch above the worktop isn't fused- pic below, would this need changing to a fused switch also? I'm not sure if the rating on this one View media item 93886

Sponsored Links
Yes in the UK
Yes, but I asked if you were in England. Notification rules are very different in England and Wales.
Just checked and the switch above the worktop isn't fused- pic below, would this need changing to a fused switch also? I'm not sure if the rating on this one
If the switch above the worktop does not have a fuse (i.e. is not a FCU), then you either need to change it to an FCU (in which case you could have just a flex outlet below worktop), or else have an FCU (or socket - the plug has a fuse) below the worktop.

Kind Regards, John

Yeah sorry, in England.

Thanks for the advice John, prob go for an fcu above to make it easier with fuse access if needed and the flex plate below.

Cheers both!

Thanks for the advice John, prob go for an fcu above to make it easier with fuse access if needed and the flex plate below.
Fair enough. That approach does, of course, mean that if you ever have to pull the DW right out for maintenance/repair, you may have to 'unwire' it from the flex plate (rather than just pulling a plug out of a socket).

Kind Regards, John

True, and I wouldn't consider that normally except in this case the cable also has a plug into the dishwasher so it's easier enough to unplug and pull out of needed.

True, and I wouldn't consider that normally except in this case the cable also has a plug into the dishwasher so it's easier enough to unplug and pull out of needed.
That's interesting - I don't think I've ever seen that with a kitchen appliance - the cable usually just 'emerges' from the case!

Kind Regards, John

Yeah sorry, in England.

Cheers both!

But if the fuse ever fails you are going to have to pull the machine out anyway to find the fault.
Leave the switch above the worktop and move the socket as originally intended.

I was surprised, it's a Bosch aqua star 6l, first time I've seen a detachable cable.

im only trying to steer away from moving the socket as it means bringing the cable out of the end of the units which means having a visible hole in the end big enough to get a plug through

I was surprised, it's a Bosch aqua star 6l, first time I've seen a detachable cable.
Interesting. As I said, I've never seen that. I suppose that it helps 'international compatability'!
im only trying to steer away from moving the socket as it means bringing the cable out of the end of the units which means having a visible hole in the end big enough to get a plug through
Yes, I realise that - and we've discussed the options for avoiding your having to do that.

Kind Regards, John

But if the fuse ever fails you are going to have to pull the machine out anyway to find the fault.
Leave the switch above the worktop and move the socket as originally intended.
And that would not still guarantee that you would not have to remove the appliance to find the fault and the likelihood would be that you would have to remove items from the kitchen cabinet to access the socket/plug, just to replace a fuse and remove the appliance if the fault persists.
For me no advantage at all, and considering the extra work in relocating socket and cable lengths, the logical plan would be flex plate, protected by a 13a S/FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back