New Dishwasher Wiring In!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just tried to wire in my dishwasher.
I had a blank connection but I did not want to cut off the appliances plug and wire it in so I connected a one switch 13amp socket.
Now I can't get the dishwasher, or anything for that matter, to work from that new socket.
What have I overlooked?

Sponsored Links
ian413 said:
I had a blank connection but I did not want to cut off the appliances plug and wire it in so I connected a one switch 13amp socket.
Now I can't get the dishwasher, or anything for that matter, to work from that new socket.
What have I overlooked?

has the socket got power?

where does the socket get the power from?

ian413 said:
What have I overlooked?

turning it on, stripping the cables fuse..................................?

I have switched the power on and stripped the cables when i wired it in.

There is a fused switch above the worktop which is also on, can this be a problem??
Is it supposed to have a fuse in it?

Sponsored Links
Problem solved!
Needed a fuse in the switch above the worktop.
I feel a bit silly now!!

:LOL: Easily done! At least you can isolate above worktop. I recently plumbed a dishwasher in for a mate in a newly refurbed rental property. The provided single gang socket under the worktop turned out to be just the faceplate screwed to the plasterboard. No backbox and no wiring. Needless to say he won't be using that outfit again.

keyplayer said:
The provided single gang socket under the worktop turned out to be just the faceplate screwed to the plasterboard. No backbox and no wiring. Needless to say he won't be using that outfit again.

wonder if any other sockets were the same?

Sounds like a Story I heard about a call out to a socket in a bathroom that wouldn't work.
Turned out that the lady had screwed a pattress and outlet plate to the wall over the bath so she could plug in her hair dryer!!!!!!

Obviously thought electricity works by osmosis.

Qedelec said:
Sounds like a Story I heard about a call out to a socket in a bathroom that wouldn't work.
Turned out that the lady had screwed a pattress and outlet plate to the wall over the bath so she could plug in her hair dryer!!!!!!

Obviously thought electricity works by osmosis.

at least there wasnt much chance of her gettin a shock when the hair dryer fell in the bath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back