Dishwasher socket connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had our dishwasher (Bosch Logixx) for a few years until it stopped working a few months ago. I reconnected it to a different socket via an extension lead and the dishwasher worked again. So I assumed that it was the socket that was faulty and therefore replaced it with new but same (13amp) socket. When I reconnected the dishwasher to the new socket, the diswasher worked for a few days and then stopped again. So, we are using the extension lead again to connect to a different socket which is not ideal.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be happening here?

Sponsored Links
dodgy socket..
if you've re-terminated the dishwasher end, then it's likely a loose connection at the other end....

trace it back to the last socket before it and have a look there..

Thanks ColJack.

I checked the next adjacent socket and it is fine, the fridge is plugged to it. There is also a fuse box between these two sockets and its fuse is fine.

So I guess it is the socket that the dishwasher is connected to that is faulty. What would the fault entail given that the socket is brand new? Presumably a loose connection between the wires and the socket? I can double check that and make sure that the wires are securely fixed.

Is there any other possibility as I find it difficult to visualise loose socket wires - it is a fairly tight and firm connection with socket screws, wires don't have much room to move.

If the fusebox you mention has a switch and a fuse. It is possible that the switch bit is faulty.

Is it one like this this

If so the socket is probably fine and the switch/fuse is faulty. What size (amps) fuse is in there?

Martin

Sponsored Links
there is a loose or broken connection somewhere between the socket the dishwasher plugs into and the next sockets or fused spurs etc on the circuit.. ( ring or radial.. ) ..

it may be that there is a break in the cable ( as was the fault with another recent post ) , or there may even be a rodent problem..

View media item 9882

Martin - yes the fuse box looks like the one in your link, but is obviously older. The fuse is also 13amp as the one in your link. So you think that it is the switch that is faulty (as fuse is fine)?

What is odd is that the dishwasher worked for years, then it stopped. I changed the socket, the dishwasher worked again for a few days and then stopped again. If the fuse box switch is faulty, why did the dishwasher work for a few days after I changed the socket?

because you presumably switched off the fused spur ( please stop calling it a fuse box.. ) and then switched it back on later ( along with the main breaker ) ..

this would get some of the crud off the switch contacts for a while until it scorched again..

It was the fuse spur switch - I have now replaced it and the dishwasher works again while plugged in to the original socket. Many thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back