Bl**dy dishwasher

a phone charger has no earth connection, which might be relevant, and a current draw in the region of 0.03A, which might also be relevant.
All true - but what about the DW which trips the RCD when it is plugged in but not switched on? ... and don't forget that exactly the same happens when the DW is plugged into different sockets, on different circuits, via an extension cable. That sounds to me like a either a fault in the DW's flex/plug, or a N-E fault within the DW, coupled with it only having a SP switch - but, in either case, the problem would be 'with the DW'. What's wrong with my reasoning?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm musing that he has a background leakage of about 29mA, and it doesn't take much to tip him over the edge.

I'm musing that he has a background leakage of about 29mA, and it doesn't take much to tip him over the edge.
That's obviously a possibility (if the DW has SP switching, or has filter capacitors on the supply side of the switch) but, if that were the case, I would have expected that other appliances would probably do the same, at least sometimes.

Kind Regards, John

You've been very unlucky then John. I've never (yet) had a washing machine that was faulty on arrival.
Just replaced our 12 year old DW:
1st, tripped RCD,
2nd, didn't fill,
3rd, big (and I mean BIG) dent in door
4th, smothered with black grease, the guy blamed the tail lift!

On the plus side I like the new idea of the electric valve on the end of the pipe, even if I had to enlarge the hole in the cupboard and move the isolation valve.

2 years ago we replaced our 10 year old WM:
1st, door was jammed shut, fortunately the delivery man tried to open it to show us all the bits inside and broke it,
2nd, water p****d out when filling.

My daughter had to have every single kitchen appliance in her brand new house replaced:
WM, DW, Fridge, Freezer, Cooker hood, plinth heating fan, Hob, Oven & EF. Admittedly the cooker hood and plinth heater were damaged by installation but the rest were faulty.

Oh and the 'appliance' circuit which fed the first 6 items B32 & 2.5mm T&E radial to grid switch panel, builders didn't like being picked up on that one!

Sponsored Links
You've been very unlucky then John. I've never (yet) had a washing machine that was faulty on arrival.
Just replaced our 12 year old DW:
1st, tripped RCD,
2nd, didn't fill,
3rd, big (and I mean BIG) dent in door
4th, smothered with black grease, the guy blamed the tail lift!
A lot more "unlucky" than me, it seems - at least I've never had to have more than one replacement for a brand new appliance.

Do I take it that the 5th one was actually OK?

Kind Regards, John

A lot more "unlucky" than me, it seems - at least I've never had to have more than one replacement for a brand new appliance.

Do I take it that the 5th one was actually OK?

Kind Regards, John
As I would have had to clean a replacement I accepted the 4th and used a bit of kitchen towel and white spirit. All I need to do now is work out how to remove some of the useless plastic accessories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back