Bl**dy dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Dishwasher plugged into socket in the kitchen started tripping the electrics (Main switch outside, not the circuit boards inside).

Otherwise that socket works fine. Electrician round to look at socket etc and said all was fine. Therefore we all agreed problem with dishwasher which is a few years old. Rather than look for repair I took the plunge and replaced the dishwasher.

Plumbed the bloody new one in today - all set up - plugged it in and as soon as I turned the stitch on it trpiied the electrics again. Tried extension to numerous different rings in the house thorugh different sockets and same results.

nb Dishwasher not switched on, nor is anything major in the kitchen or rest of the house.

Any diagnosis? Arrrrrggggeee

Sponsored Links
Plumbed the bloody new one in today - all set up - plugged it in and as soon as I turned the stitch on it trpiied the electrics again. Tried extension to numerous different rings in the house through different sockets and same results.
If a brand new machine is tripping something regardless of what circuit it is plugged into (and if, as I assume, other appliances are not causing trips), it sounds rather as if you have bought a duff machine. Do I take it that it causes trips even when directly plugged into the local socket (without an extension lead)?

What is tripping - an MCB or an RCD (the latter with a test button)?

Kind Regards, John

Wouldn't have thought that could be the case as both old machine and new one result in the same fault - ie the mains trip.

It is the main switch outside which trips, not the circuit board inside?

Wouldn't have thought that could be the case as both old machine and new one result in the same fault - ie the mains trip.
A bit of a co-incidence, I agree - but far from impossible.
It is the main switch outside which trips, not the circuit board inside?
Any chance of a photo of this switch which is tripping? Am I right in my assumption that nothing else (e.g. washing machine) is causing similar trips?

Kind Regards, Johnb

Sponsored Links
Here's the cheeky fella - Bang on, nothing else has ever tripped the mains switch - cooker ok. Washing machine and all kitchen stuff all on the same circuit.

Thanks

B_M

Attachments

• IMAG0391.jpg
    IMAG0391.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
So to summarise:

Socket 'works' for other electrical items. eg Charged phone from it.
Dishwasher replaced - so highly unlikely to be the same fault from both dishwashers (Old one 'developed' fault, new one caused it straight away)
Other sockets on different rings round the house also cause same problem, when i plug dishwasher into it via extension reel, tripping the exterior switch as above.
Other large appliances working fine - so for example Oven, Washing machine.

Nb the Dishwasher trips the electrics when plugged into the wall as soon as I turn the socket switch on - dont even turn the dishwasher on.

Helllllllppppppppppppppppppppp - Im getitng grief as its taken me months to order a new dishwasher as electrician had told us that was the issue.

:(:mad::confused:

Electrician round to look at socket etc and said all was fine.
I presume you mean he did more than "look at it".

Therefore we all agreed problem with dishwasher which is a few years old.
It's not down to democracy.

Did the electrician do any testing and take any measurements?
Did he test the RCD (main switch outside)?

never mind the charger, what happens when you plug the kettle into that socket? If you unplug your washer and kettle, and switch off your immersion heater and boiler at the wall, and any other watery appliances such as pond pumps and outdoor lights, does it still trip? It is possible that you already have a certain amount of earth leakage in your house, and a small amount extra from the appliance is enough to push it over tipping point.

Do you know that the electrician was a member of a self-certification scheme, such as NICEIC? It will probably be on his business card, website, advert and invoice, if he is, and you can verify him on their website. I don't suppose he left you with any results from testing the RCD. It is not very good practice to protect a whole house with a single RCD. What numbers are on it? For example 30mA or 100mA? If you take another photo with the flap open we might be able to read it.

Would be interesting to see a photo of your consumer unit, and the wires around it, with the door or flap open.

I'm wondering if the metal case of the dishwasher is pressed against a metal pipe, damp wall, or other appliance, or is standing on a damp stone floor, or if the socket is damp. I would hope the electrician took the face off and inspected it for damage or incorrect connection.

Here's the cheeky fella - Bang on, nothing else has ever tripped the mains switch - cooker ok. Washing machine and all kitchen stuff all on the same circuit.
What happens if you try the washing machine using the same water supply and drainage connections as the dishwasher?

Thanks chaps. I'm off on hols in the morning so I'll pick up when I'm back.

John D.... 'good practice' doesn't come into much of our house. The guy we bought it from did much of the conversion himself. :cry::cry::cry:

Hi all,

Dishwasher plugged into socket in the kitchen started tripping the electrics (Main switch outside, not the circuit boards inside).

Otherwise that socket works fine. Electrician round to look at socket etc and said all was fine. Therefore we all agreed problem with dishwasher which is a few years old. Rather than look for repair I took the plunge and replaced the dishwasher.

Plumbed the bloody new one in today - all set up - plugged it in and as soon as I turned the stitch on it trpiied the electrics again. Tried extension to numerous different rings in the house thorugh different sockets and same results.

nb Dishwasher not switched on, nor is anything major in the kitchen or rest of the house.

Any diagnosis? Arrrrrggggeee

So, the terrible throw away society raises its ugly head again! Why did you not do some more testing on the old machine? Can you really afford to waste the cost of a new one?

Firstly because a professional electrician told me the old one was likely to be knacked.

Secondly cos the old one was about 6 years old and we'd had to replace a couple of things on it already.

Thirdly because the wife said 'buy a new one'.... So I did. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back