Bl**dy dishwasher

If it was the old one at fault causing the RCD to trip, it may have only been an element which was knackered at the cost of about £15.

Sponsored Links
It would be a helluva coincidence that the old machine was faulty and the brand new one also.

Plumbed the bloody new one in today - all set up - plugged it in and as soon as I turned the stitch on it trpiied the electrics again.

It would be a helluva coincidence that the old machine was faulty and the brand new one also.
I've already agreed with that, but I don't think it's as unlikely a coincidence as one might think. There is a certain finite probability that a new machine will be faulty (and seemingly not that low a probability, either - 2 out of the half a dozen or so WMs I've bought during my lifetime to date had to be immediately replaced because of faults) and, since the two things are totally independent, that probability does not get any lower because a previous machine has recently failed.

Kind Regards, John

You've been very unlucky then John. I've never (yet) had a washing machine that was faulty on arrival.

Sponsored Links
At least it will cost the OP nothing this time to get the new machine checked out by an "engineer".

You've been very unlucky then John. I've never (yet) had a washing machine that was faulty on arrival.
Yes, I don't doubt that, and I certainly wouldn't suggest that the probability of a new WM being faulting is anything as high as my personal ('unlucky') experiences might suggest - I was merely observing that the probability is not zero, or even 'negligible'.

As I said, I've had two such experiences, both with reputable 'western-branded' machines. One simply did not work at all - other than the light coming on when switched on, it could not be persuaded to do anything else. The second initially appeared to work, but gave up before it git to the end of the (any) cycle.

What surprised me, at least in the one case when I asked, is that the manufactuer appeared not to be interested in examining the faulty machine to see what was wrong with it. Having confirmed that it didn't work, the man who brought the replacement said that he was going to take the original "to the tip"!

Kind Regards, John

What surprised me, at least in the one case when I asked, is that the manufactuer appeared not to be interested in examining the faulty machine to see what was wrong with it. Having confirmed that it didn't work, the man who brought the replacement said that he was going to take the original "to the tip"!

Cheaper to replace it than put in the effort picking it to bits & repair it...then sell it as refurbished.

Cheaper to replace it than put in the effort picking it to bits & repair it...then sell it as refurbished.
Yes, for the manufacturer, but that is not a good thing.
For the environment? Not sure about that, if you factor in the environmental impact of shipping a faulty item to the retailer, storing it until it can be shipped to the manufacturer's service centre (possibly in another country), storing until it can be examined, repair (by replacement of parts, that need to be disposed of), then re-shipping to a refurbished goods outlet...

OTOH, manufacturers could make spare parts available at a realistic price, based on the actual costs of manufacturing and distribution and reasonable profit to anybody who wanted to buy them, be they private individuals or repair businesses.

They could make their firmware interfaces open for ease of diagnostics.

They could design machines so that parts likely to fail were easily accessible and replaceable.

They could make the things more reliable in the first place.

And as a society we could wake up and realise that if we leave it to market forces they will never do any of those things.

Quite a simple approach which would not require any direct intervention in any of those areas might be to force makers to offer a 20-year warranty. Those who chose to price their current model of parts pricing etc into the sale price would soon find that market forces in the shape of competitors who drove down costs working against them.

Whilst that is true, if I were the manufacturer (and even if I was eventually going to scrap the faulty items) I would probably want to at least perform an 'autopsy' on products returned immediately or early, in order to ascertain whether there were design faults or manufacturing faults that needed to be addressed - otherwise I might be facing massive losses due to products replaced and scrapped in the future.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back