Bl**dy dishwasher

They could design machines so that parts likely to fail were easily accessible and replaceable.
I have to say that that is something which seems to have improved a lot in recent years. It used to be that one had to remove at least some of the case to replace many of the 'likely to fail' components but that is, at least in terms of machines I've got/had, generally no longer the case.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It would be a helluva coincidence that the old machine was faulty and the brand new one also.
I've already agreed with that, but I don't think it's as unlikely a coincidence as one might think. There is a certain finite probability that a new machine will be faulty (and seemingly not that low a probability, either - 2 out of the half a dozen or so WMs I've bought during my lifetime to date had to be immediately replaced because of faults) and, since the two things are totally independent, that probability does not get any lower because a previous machine has recently failed.

Kind Regards, John
We have had one duff washing machine out of the half dozen or so we have had. Can't remember exactly what happened now, but it worked out of the packing, and then after a couple of washes didn't. The guy who picked it up said they were rubbish and he was always picking them up for replacement / refund. And also that the broken one was going to the tip. We weren't impressed with that brand, (can't remember but it'd have been a "decent" make.) so bought another from elsewhere on offer.

Also just to say that I had a number of faulty pieces of electrical equipment as brand new replacements over the time I worked on maintenance in industry. I learnt to never assume it was OK just because it was new.

An interesting one here some years back. Fitted a PIR unit for the outside lights. After a very short time it failed. The seller replaced it, it failed. And again. Seller said to me it was me, and "No-one else had had problems". I'd checked the circuit for problems multiple times. Three 60W incandescent lights on it, and it was rated at 1000W
Had money back after falling out with supplier. Tried another different one from somewhere else, and that lasted for at least 10 years.
Subsequent unit OK too.
I wonder to this day.

If a manufacturer's QA is so poor that they need to examine items that have failed in the field, then you could be right. I've worked for a manufacturer who used to pull apart every returned product and fault-find down to component level, and I can't think of anything we learned from that (except that epoxy resin encapsulation is a b****r to remove!).

If a manufacturer's QA is so poor that they need to examine items that have failed in the field, then you could be right.
Examining early post-sale failures should be part of the overall QA process, shouldn't it? The WM of mine that just would not do anything when it arrived presumably will have been subjected to at least some sort of testing prior to leaving the factory, so the fault presumably arose during distribution/delivery (maybe due to some 'loose connection'!).

I've worked mainly in relation to fields in which there is very intensive QA throughout the manufacturing process, but 'rogue products' nevertheless sometimes manage to 'slip through' and if that happens, the returned products are subjected to the most intensive of investigations (sometimes with product recalls and cessation of manufacturing until the investigation has been concluded, and acted upon).
I've worked for a manufacturer who used to pull apart every returned product and fault-find down to component level, and I can't think of anything we learned from that (except that epoxy resin encapsulation is a b****r to remove!).
Maybe not, in the cases you're talking about, but I'm sure that such examinations have been known to reveal design or manufacturing (and maybe even packaging or distribution) problems, the addressing of which would save the manufacturer a lot of money in the long term.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If a manufacturer's QA is so poor that they need to examine items that have failed in the field, then you could be right.
Or maybe their QA etc is good, and a failure is so unexpected, that they want to know what happened.

We had (still have) a "premium brand" German vacuum cleaner, which suffered a main motor failure out of warranty. Not only did they replace it FOC, they took the failed one back to find out why it failed, as they weren't supposed to.

Good manufacturers subject their products to all sorts of tests, including some designed to simulate handling and mishandling during shipping. Yes, the odd rogue product might slip through, but as long as the reason for replacement is recorded, so that any developing pattern can be identified, there's little to gain by tearing the faulty product apart. The manufacturer already knows that the 'loose connection' shouldn't have been loose.

The WM of mine that just would not do anything when it arrived presumably will have been subjected to at least some sort of testing prior to leaving the factory, so the fault presumably arose during distribution/delivery (maybe due to some 'loose connection'!).
A company I once worked for had a customer who was aggrieved that his servers didn't ship when promised. Somebody (not I), thinking on his feet, (at the same time as putting both of them in his mouth and shooting them) said it was because we'd carried out extra checks at the distributor's premises to ensure 0% problems on arrival.

Customer was even more aggrieved when said servers arrived with the internal HDDs disconnected.

I've worked mainly in relation to fields in which there is very intensive QA throughout the manufacturing process, but 'rogue products' nevertheless sometimes manage to 'slip through' and if that happens, the returned products are subjected to the most intensive of investigations (sometimes with product recalls and cessation of manufacturing until the investigation has been concluded, and acted upon).
It's been repeated by so many people in so many different fields, that the origin is probably impossible to determine, but I think it was the CEO of Pan-Am at the start of the passenger jet age who first said "If you think safety is expensive, try having an accident".

The company I mentioned above ordered 10,000 coils from a Japanese manufacturer, and specified an AQL, which the manufacturer didn't understand. With some concern I explained via telex that this meant we would accept up to 3 faulty items among the 10000. When the shipment arrived, there were 9,997 good coils, and 3 faulty ones, wrapped separately. A note with the consignment asked how many faulty items we wanted, as they could offer them for a very special price!

We had (still have) a "premium brand" German vacuum cleaner, which suffered a main motor failure out of warranty. Not only did they replace it FOC, they took the failed one back to find out why it failed, as they weren't supposed to.
I have similar story. A few years ago, the engine of a Mercedes of a friend of mine 'blew up' (almost literally). It was an expensive model which he had had from new, but was well out of warranty (I think 6 or so years old) and had done a considerable mileage. When the local dealer reported this to the manufacturer, their response was "Mercedes engines should be good for at least 250,000km, no matter what their age" - and replaced the engine FOC and, as in your example, took the old engine away, presumably to examine it.

Kind Regards, John

Apple (whose QA has gone down considerably since the introduction of the iPhone) have been surprisingly brilliant to me.

I had a (bought refurbished) MacBook Pro that had a known fault, so they took it back and replaced more than 50% of the computer. This then came back with a scratched screen, they took it away and replaced the screen no questions, it came back still not quite right, they took it away again, then a guy from Apple called me, apologised, and said 'We've just released a new version of the MBP, and because of the issues you've had, we're gonna keep yours, and send you the next model up'

A few months later I had a display go faulty, they took it in, I chased it up a week or two later, they explained they were still waiting for parts, said if I wanted, I could just go into the store and collect a brand new one off the shelf, clearly I jumped at the chance.

I've also had numerous iPhones with intermittent faults that they've replaced on faith, seems I must be on a good list somewhere!

It might be that if manufacturing cost is, say, 50p, and sales price is, say, £500, it is no great hardship to give you a new one so you go around trumpeting their praises.

Although "I've also had numerous iPhones with intermittent faults" is not exactly praise.

I wasn't praising their products, I thought the first line made that quite clear. Their customer service however, is fantastic.

These digressions on quality control are most enlightening; OP what happens when you plug your kettle in, as recommended above?

These digressions on quality control are most enlightening; OP what happens when you plug your kettle in, as recommended above?
It's true that the OP has not answered that specific question, but he has indicated that the socket 'works' (without tripping) with a small load (his phone charger) and, more importantly, that the RCD does operate if he plugs in the DW and switches on the socket with the DW itself switched off (hence representing little or no load). That almost suggests that the is a fault in the DW's flex (or within a moulded plug), rather than that the problem is related to their being a fairly large load (such as a kettle) on the socket.

If I were forced to put my money on anything, it would probably be a problem within the DW's (presumably) moulded plug. Of course, that would leave the major co-incidence of the previous DW having done essentially the same thing (although that could have been due to a co-incidental fault within the DW itself) - so I'm not actually going to put my money on anything!

Kind Regards, John

a phone charger has no earth connection, which might be relevant, and a current draw in the region of 0.03A, which might also be relevant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back