Dishwasher install issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a space in my kitchen for a tumble dryer but don’t have one so decided to get a dishwasher.

Instantly I realised this may not be straightforward as no pipping is in place.

I also had a new boiler put in recently and they have used one of the sink trap waste connector things and the other is used for the washing machine so a question on where to put the waste pipe as well.

move taken some pics which might help rambling. One of of the cold water tap feed and the waste pipe. I wondered if I could tap in to the mains cold pipe for the cold water tap for the cold water feel for the dishwasher.

Be grateful of any info

Attachments

• FD750A73-1B84-4686-B550-033BE899D6BB.jpeg
    FD750A73-1B84-4686-B550-033BE899D6BB.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 31E5D041-3B1D-44EA-9EC4-515285BC3599.jpeg
    31E5D041-3B1D-44EA-9EC4-515285BC3599.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 305
Sponsored Links
Yes mate, get a t-piece to tap into the cold water tap feed and then a Y piece for the drain.

Size according to tap connections etc

Attachments

• EE1BB83E-67D4-4238-89E0-1897D4B7D28C.png
    EE1BB83E-67D4-4238-89E0-1897D4B7D28C.png
    281.4 KB · Views: 231
  • C1A47E07-D49B-4913-8DD2-91623AF1D0CA.png
    C1A47E07-D49B-4913-8DD2-91623AF1D0CA.png
    460.7 KB · Views: 225
I’d say doable if that’s what you’re working with, tee for cold supply, if layout is correct then you only need a standard washing machine tee, as for drain a few options area available: could alter waste to accept new tee, and go from there ensuring it’s trapped, tee in behind unit (probably need to remove base unit for this), run new feed externally if available.

Sponsored Links
OP, you could use that cold feed for the tap, you'll need a small length of copper pipe tho to allow an appliance valve to be fitted in between the ISO valve and the connection for the flexi

Let us see the space the DW is going into, you may be able to get a stand pipe in there

Just t into the cold water feed so you the valve for the appliance. Leave a length of copper off the bottom of the flexi and connect to the valve.

Y- piece was for demonstration. Obviously needs the push fit connections

As Madrab says, cold supply is easy enough. Waste is the unknown at present, you wont be able to make another connection to what you have under the sink, so we need to look at where that goes to and options for making another connection or adding a waste to take the drainage from your dishwasher. Photo's from the other side of the wall where the sink waste runs to would be useful please.

Thanks for the help all. (Apologies for my lack of plumbing know how :) )

does anyone have a link to the exact part I would need for the cold water feed ? I’m guessing this will need to be a check valve

Is this the one ? Will I need olives to make this seal ? Or does it all come together
https://www.screwfix.com/p/compression-appliance-tee-brass-x-x-15mm/24030

I think that’s the one plastic peanut suggested.

Taken a few more pictures one of the empty space it’s going in and the others outside.

in the space I want to use I’ve just noticed there’s a big hole cut out filled with expanding foam I think that leads to a outside vent. (Only been here 2 months, bit of a fixer upper)

regarding the waste pipe from the situation I wonder if I could drill that expanding foam out and feed the DW waste pipe through some pvc pipping or maybe I could create a third spigot with one of those tap in kits and cut in to the waste Pipe. How good those are I don’t know.

interested in your thoughts

Attachments

• 62D15A60-18B1-471A-8820-1367F4A62128.jpeg
    62D15A60-18B1-471A-8820-1367F4A62128.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 236
  • CF22513C-AB05-42CB-8475-F8155C2B1436.jpeg
    CF22513C-AB05-42CB-8475-F8155C2B1436.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 235
  • 78AA3459-6047-427A-9EB2-CFECF6DB153D.jpeg
    78AA3459-6047-427A-9EB2-CFECF6DB153D.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
OP, you could use that cold feed for the tap, you'll need a small length of copper pipe tho to allow an appliance valve to be fitted in between the ISO valve and the connection for the flexi

Is this what I need https://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-valve-with-check-valve-15mm-x/27660

I assume I need this to stop water contamination and a shut off point ? I’m guessing I would need to add some olives to my basket as well to make these seal ?

Let us see the space the DW is going into, you may be able to get a stand pipe in there

Tee is the one you need, as Madrab has said, you will nee a short piece of 15mm copper pipe to go from the top of the tee, to allow you to reconnect the cold supply to the tap. Keep it as tight as possible though, you do not want to be putting any strain on that flexi, (they dont like it).

Waste, looks from the external pic like you already have 2 holes drilled for a waste pipe, one still has a piece of pipe in it! They may be in the wrong place though, if that hole for the tumble dryer vent lines up internally, use that and make good properly afterward. You will need a standpipe, https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-washing-machine-trap-white-40mm/18640, hook drain hose from dishwasher into the top of that, then run a 40mm waste pipe to the gulley. Ideally you need to arrange the pipe so it discharges below the gulley grid, (If iron grid then may have to be above).

If you're happy using solvent weld stuff, then fine. Golden rule is to set it up 'dry', and make sure everything is right before gluing it together. Joints will set in seconds and they wont come apart again afterwards! Any worries, come back and ask.

Last edited:
If you're happy using solvent weld stuff, then fine. Golden rule is to set it up 'dry', and make sure everything is right before gluing it together. Joints will set in seconds and they wont come apart again afterwards! Any worries, come back and ask.
As Hugh says - set up dry - and put a pencil mark across the end of the fitting and the pipe - keeps all the angles correct;)

Is this the one ? Will I need olives to make this seal ? Or does it all come together
https://www.screwfix.com/p/compression-appliance-tee-brass-x-x-15mm/24030

No ... not that type tee, that's to supply 2 appliances from one pipe. You want one of these.
60723_P

https://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-valve-tee-15mm-x-15mm-x/60723

Isolate the cold water and disconnect the compression end of the flexi from the pipe, you'll be left with the nut and olive on the pipe, get some gas PTFE tape and wrap 2 wraps of the tape around the olive on the pipe and connect one end of the tee to that and tighten, in the other end of the tee you will need a little length of pipe slotted into that and tighten that nut, at the other end use the nut and olive left from the other end of the valve and attach the flexi back onto the pipe.

I takew it that space is just 600mm wide?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back