Dishwasher on ground floor - plumbing issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dishwasher works fine but I notice a bad smell if I've haven't run it for a day or so. I think it's standing water. I clean it regularly and also have a freshener thing in it, but I wondered if there was a problem with the plumbing as I'm on the ground floor and maybe the pipe isn't long enough. Or something. Is there anything anyone can recommend please? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of the appliances waste pipes connection to your drainage pipework.

Is this with dirty dishes in, waiting for the next wash to go on? Or completely empty?

The former with our dishwashers in 3 ground floor property installations means a 'rinse cycle' is needed (or 'full wash' if over half full) and is caused by the food scraps etc.,.

Pic of the drainage connections would help if it's the latter. Make and model of this dishwasher may also be relevant, occasionally?

The waste pipe from the dishwasher (usually grey, ribbed, flexible plastic) may be joined to the drainage pipework under the sink. If this is the case the pipe should go up to a level just under the work top then fall to the point where it joins the drainage. Then when the dishwasher empties, it pumps the water up and it then falls into the drain, leaving little to go stagnant in the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your replies. Here are the photos. I guess some water is going stagnant in the pipe as it's all the time, even when the dishwasher is empty. The dishwasher is an upright Bosch SilencePlus Series2 if this helps anything.

Attachments

• 20221030_185506.jpg
    20221030_185506.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 109
  • 20221030_184035.jpg
    20221030_184035.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 101
  • 20221030_185602.jpg
    20221030_185602.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 102
  • 20221030_184043.jpg
    20221030_184043.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 107
As mentioned above ,the waste hose should enter the cabinet much higher ( near the underside of worktop),and drop down to the trap . As it is waste water from the sink can flow back into appliance.

The waste pipe's also too long, I understand why it's been extended to allow the DW to be moved in and out but that allows the drained water to sit in the pipe that's sitting on the floor and as suggested, water from the sink to run back into the pipe, all that will eventually gunge up and smell.

Ideally the drain hose should exit the machine and rise straight away, up over the top edge of the cabinet under the worktop and then down into the waste pipe. That minimises any water left lying in the drain hose.

You could try tying the excess hose up to form the higher point loop required. That would give you the height to prevent drain back and still leave you with room and the length of hose to get the machine in and out.

Thanks all. I might try getting in the plumber who put it in first, as you'd think he'd have figured this when he put it in - but if he charges me then I will try doing it myself. In fact I might try tying the excess hose up first. So I could just tie it as Madrab says: it should rise? Would the water be pushed up a vertical pipe? (Sorry if this sounds stupid, I have no idea about this kind of thing.)

The pump will have enough push to allow it to drain up the length of the drain hose and up over the top of the unit. Again though, any excess loops of pipe will gather at least some waste water. Ideally the drain hose is kept as short as possible and if the dishwasher needs to be pulled out then the drain hose is disconnected from the outlet at the sink.

OK thanks - I will try tying it up myself first and see how I get on rather than get the plumber out. I will also invest in a shorter pipe! This place is a goldmine of information - I have no idea what I am doing with anything practical and am very short of money so hugely appreciate the help.

Long term, I would be looking to add a stand pipe, on the wall, behind the DW, T'ed into that existing drain for the sink.

Would that be something I could put in myself?

It's taken about an hour but I have fixed up this. Will it be ok until I can get something proper sorted?

Attachments

• 20221031_190648.jpg
    20221031_190648.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 69
Yep, it's nearly ready for a wash anyway so after supper I'll run a hot wash. My thinking is: a stand pipe should be connected to the wall via those rings you can buy and then connected to the drain, which I think you could do by yourself or with a friendly neighbour's help. Is that right? It doesn't require any big plumbing kit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back