Disposing of rubble

Check before you take it to the tip, some areas now charge to dump soil & rubble, up here its £5 for a carload :(
Low odds anyone will want it, £40/ton of clean fresh hardcore vs all day with a sledgehammer.....

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

When we moved in to our new house we discovered a mound of rubble on the other side of our (collapsing) back fence. We'll have to get it moved in order to fit a new fence so I've started to uncover it, and it seems mostly to be a mix of broken paving, breeze blocks and concrete.

View media item 104995
Is this the kind of material we could give away to builders or amateurs undertaking projects, or are we going to have to pay someone to dispose of it properly?

In other words, is it likely to be useful to anyone?

Thanks in advance!
if thats the lot just bung 2 or 3 pieces a week into your waste bin. don't sneak any into your neighbours bins as that would be very naughty.

If you are in southern hampshire there are a few places that take hardcore for free..

Sponsored Links
Check before you take it to the tip, some areas now charge to dump soil & rubble, up here its £5 for a carload :(
Low odds anyone will want it, £40/ton of clean fresh hardcore vs all day with a sledgehammer.....
£5 a car load ? It's £4 a small bag here in E. Sussex. More to dispose of a bag of ballast than buy it new:eek:

Thanks all. Plenty of use for the soil itself, as I think it came from the bottom of our garden and was used to bury everything else. I've also had to use a bunch of it to even up the wonky path.
Local tip is a possibility, but right now it's limited to two trips a month. I'm still uncovering new crap, including a washline still attached to a lump of concrete, so I don't know how viable that'll be until I'm done. Might take a punt on a Facebook or Gumtree ad and see what lands.

£5 a car load ? It's £4 a small bag here in E. Sussex
I'm in Hove (East Sussex) and its free to dump as much rubble as you can bring in the car / trailer.
Although my recent trip (Sunday) - they were inspecting all the cars / opening boots / asking questions about what exactly you are dumping before letting you in.
Unsure of they're trying to stop commercial waste or if maybe someone was dumping stuff they shouldn't (asbestos?)
Or maybe they were because the queue takes an hour to get in so they have time to check.

When I landscaped my garden I ended up with 5 or so tonnes of broken up concrete/chalk. I bagged it up and loaded it into my old 406 and did many runs to the skip, they did get a bit annoyed and threatened to fine me for dumping commercial waste, I just told them why would I use this old car as my work van? Nothing else was said! (y)

Found a site called Enviromate which seems to be a sort of Gumtree/Freecycle for building materials, so I may take a punt on that. After that, Hippo bags are also a possibility, as the largest one they offer will just about sit in our front garden, meaning no permit required!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back