DISQ Assessment v Building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - I'm DISQ qualified and need to NIC register and sort out some assessment sites.

As background, I've done 25 years as a comms tech, wiring, voice systems, cat 5 networks- Got fed up with being other peoples property (been made redundant 3 times in 10 years), so home based works will be my new work!

I had fully intended to use my house as one of the assessment sites, and understand the need to use BControl for full CU change, 2 new rings and update to take in new tail size, earthing of gas water, bathroom bonding update etc as notifiable works.

I have no problem with the £129 charge (as sub £2000 works value), but I didn't appreciate the need to give them working notice :oops: .

I did the work over Xmas and it only took 2 days + a day testing, testing, testing and more testing.

Should I wing in and hope that application to building control which means I can 'start' work 3 days after application, means that by the time they agree an appointment I can have already done the 'work'.

I've got loads of minor works jobs due, which I will only take from 1-2-07 after reg via NIC and insurance £2m sorted- but I am struggling to find meaty enough work for the NIC assessment.

IS my white lie too naughty, or am I worrying for nothing :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I think BC will want to see the installation at various stages i.e. after first fix.

On a job that counts as a major (for NIC assessment) but has such a quick install how could I show them a 1st fix.

Say the job was just a CU change which at this time due to my non assessed status would require BCN and payment by me.

That's a single days work and would presumably not be subject to a 1st and then final fit, since there is no distinction in time from the 1st and final fit.

Reason I ask is that I could arrange to update a few friends places at mates rates. Outside the 10mm arrangements for gas / water and running tails to meter, there would be no 1st fix (well an hours worth :LOL: )

Round here Building control is sub contracted for part P, how involved will they be when I inform them that I'm using a job for NIC assessment. Morely they won't test or show any interest.

Since I'm paying £130 I could ask them to give me a certificate, which no doubt they would avoid saying "that can be your 1st certificate post NIC assessment being passed"

Am I not right in thinking that legally, I am only obliged to give 3 working days notice to Building control and if after that time the 3 days) I have finished the work before they attend site, then that is not my concern.

Also taking on a rewire, replacing service cable as you go and reconnecting them straight away (as you would when using existing cable routes, joist holes, notches and back box footprints) doesn't really allow for much 1st fix overview by a Building Control inspection, does it?

Chri5

Talk to them and be honest. I asked the same question about more or less the same thing and was told to pay the fee (£117.50) and send them a copy of the certificate after I had finished the work (I'm not registered yet!!. They didnt even want to visit the site or look/test the works.......

Different Authorities have very wide ranging views on what they require.

Sponsored Links
Chri5
dont bother with BC
just do the jobs and get them out, assessor is not bothered about BC

It's Enfield Council and they seem to be on the ball.

I like both your answers, and would love to simply not tell them, but I thought that the DISQ on site assessment would HAVE to include at least a copy of the BC acknowledgement.

Since DISQ has to include BC regs, I would / have been concerned about not upsetting BC and more importantly not failing NIC assessment due to not complying with a legal requirement. That being to notify them (the Building Control) of all notifiable work prior to being assessed on site as competent.

To lie or not to lie, even if it's white, that be the question :?: .

Although it sounds like CU changes as a 1/2 day job on to existing wiring would be NIC qualified as major works and would negate the value of a BC 1st fix site visit.

I'm in this for the long term and will do 2381 and maybe squeeze in 2391 before year end, another £1700 to the NIC :eek:

Chri5
The council doesnt know anything unless you tell them.
Trust me, the assessor is only interested in that you know what your talking about. If it bothers you though, the option is there to notify.

Im in the same position as you chris.

Got my DISQ mid feb

TT

I wonder what the NIC would say via their help line :eek:

I see where your comming from, I'd like to poll the opinion of (hopefully ) a few more DIYnot's before I commit eitherway.

Does this forum have a poll maker / software to make up a questions poll?

I had same problem, but my local council has no proceedure for non registered spark notification. I would just get on with it. My assessor did not ask to see Part P cert. As long as you have the test results you showed willing and you could always notify after you are NIC - changing the date of course!

SB

I joined Napit with provisional membership did a rewire as my assessment and notified and notified via Napit when I passed and got full membership.
I did building control out to have a look at a ventilation/extraction problem and the BC inspector mentioned he hadn't seen rewire notified when I told him the circumstances he went away quite happy.

Chris I just noticed you haven't got 2381 which I thought was minimum requirement to join a scheme along with 2391.
Unless you have very good knowledge/experience of inspection& testing then you could be a stick spot with assessment.

Thats right DESL however,

For NIC they run the DISQ course which is also a minimum requiement

listen fellas,
i think some of you are losing track on what the assessors job is on assessment day.

he is there for one reason only, and that is to make sure you are competent and clued up in the field of electrical installation/inspection.

NOT
to go over council paperwork
JEEZ

Listen to what Top Trumper is telling you.

Your assessor is not concerned with whether or not you have complied with the requirement for notification. He is there purely to assess your competence.

Thanks guys, the NIC application arrived this morning and I'm not telling building control about the 2 assessable jobs.

I report back on how it goes in a while and I'll be hanging around to see if I can help anyone out with questions I might be able to advice on.

Again, thanks for the details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back