Distance from hob to cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've just had a new gas hob fitted and I've purchased a new cooker hood to replace the old one, which is still in situ.
The old hood is currently fitted at a point below the 75mm minimum height as stated in the blurb for the new appliance, and is fixed to the underside of a cupboard directly above the hob.

Having browsed other threads its patently obvious that maintaining this distance is crucial, but to do so when fitting the new hood I will have to move the cupboard above the hob to a point about four inches higher than its current position, meaning that the top will no longer align with the rest of the cupboards.

I want to retain that cupboard because I'm renovating the existing units (painting doors and handles, etc) and the handle design is obselete meaning that a replacement wouldn't be available, so unless I can cut down the door and still retain the existing handle design, I don't have the option of purchasing a new, shallower cupboard to allow for the new position of the hood. I can live with having that one cupboard out of line with the others in order to comply with regs, but my question is this: would I be breaking any other regs by moving the cupboard in order to accommodate the height of the new hood to a point where its more or less touching the ceiling?

Thinking on, and as for the option of trying to retain the current line of the cupboard run, I suppose I could rebuild the old cupboard, making it smaller by carefully taking it apart, sawing some off then reassembling it: after all, the underside won't be visible as the hood will be fixed to it, but I'm not confident about cutting down the door to fit a resized cupboard.

Any observations on the above rambling set of ponderings gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
are you sure the hob MI say 750mm ? if it does then why did the RGI fit the new hob if the extract was too low, if it should be 750mm then he has fitted it to NCS & this is something he isn't allowed to do

The min distance depends on the output of the hob and will be between 650 & 750mm.Read the instructions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

Having read the manufacturer's instructions when I received the new cooker hood I already know that the minimum vertical distance between the heating surface of the gas hob and the lower surface of the hood should be 750mm for a gas hob.
When the RGI fitted the new hob the old hood was still in place, so maybe he should have pointed out the lack of clearance; or maybe he decided that the clearance was satisfactory for the old hood; a Tecnolec dating back to the early 90s. I wasn't aware of the potential issue until I decided to replace the hood and discovered what the correct clearance for the new one should be. As things stand now the problem is for me to sort out.

On reflection, I think my best solution is probably to reconstruct the cupboard above the hood to allow me to fit the new hood at the correct height.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back