Distorted Picture on Plasma TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a LG 42" Plasma tv, just under 2 years old.

Recently whilst watching telly a broad horizontal band appeared on the screen, about 6" from the top. After checking all connections, I switched the tv off. Switching it back on, the band had disappeared. I thought it was just a blip, but unfortunately it has kept doing it, only now after the band has appeared for between 5-10 minutes the whole screen goes blank. I have telephoned the manufacturers for advice, but if I take up their Breakdown Cover its going to cost nearly as much as the tv originally did.

So, is it anything I may be able to fix myself? Or do I need a professional repairman to look at it? Or should I just buy a new set?

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
How good are you at soldering/desoldering and what diagnostic equipment have you?

As I can guess the answer, I suggest a ride to Buxton:
http://www.digifixltd.co.uk

Alternatively, try Telefaults in Stoke: (01782) 835762
(But I don't know if they are still trading.)

Or, dependent on where you are, Terry of Tardis Electronics, Crewe, might be nearer.
http://www.localmole.co.uk/Business/5228746

Hi Sam,

How good am I at soldering? Me? :eek:

Seriously though, thanks for your reply. I've gone out and bought a LED TV; everyone I spoke to told me the screen had 'gone' on the plasma, and unless I had the right soldering stuff I'd probably struggle to fix it - assuming I also knew what I was doing!

I've got the plasma and will see if I can get it fixed, so thanks very much for the information in your reply.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back