distressing furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to start distressing some kitchen units, what i have is old 80s style pine, i want to paint with chalk paint we have Annie Sloane chalk paint in mind but how and what is the best was to distress the finish?

Sponsored Links
First of all sand the units and try to remove as much of the old varnish as possible then wax the edges and around the handles, anywhere that would show signs of wear and tear. Then use a primer and then apply your paint and sand where you applied your wax. Good luck :)

Use the Annie Sloane paint, not sanding or priming and it sticks to almost anything, I love this paint :LOL:

I have used it on a few things (ceramic table lamp, small hallway table, plastic picture frame)

It does really need two coats and you can thin with water if you wish or make thicker (by leaving the lid off for an hour or so), I seal mine with a coat of clear wax (dark wax if you want an aged look)

I am painting a large pine sideboard over Easter to match my kitchen units (going to change the handles and pop an oak top on it) just love that I can paint with no prep beforehand.

I will find the picture of the hallway table I did.

Sponsored Links
Before
15D9572A-DBF8-44D0-906F-176750BAF883-21735-0000386BEE9EEAC.jpg

After
A948528A-7656-4EF4-84D6-811397E6E4-1966-00000233D1CB5584_zpsc686a956.jpg

I prefer the 'before'.

Looks like a nice bit of Flame Mahogany.

:LOL:

LOL it did look quite nice when I rubbed it down a bit but unfortunately the dark wood no longer fitted in with the oak wood we have now.

I am tempted to paint it dark grey and pop some sparkly knobs on it :mrgreen:

If I hadn't of painted it, it would have gone to the dump which would have been a shame. I also painted the insides of the drawers an emerald green ;)

Looks like it would be worth a couple of hundred in the right place - depends on the quality, but it looks half-decent.

Looks like it would be worth a couple of hundred in the right place - depends on the quality, but it looks half-decent.

"before" or "after"?

I don't know why anyone would want to take a perfectly nice little cabinet and paint it so it looks like something sold in a daily newspaper alongside velcro slippers for old people, but there's no accounting for taste.

You only have to look in charity shops or the tip to see that dark wood furniture isn't popular at present.

I've bought a few pieces on the cheep and have been very pleased with them after I painted and finished them.

There's a difference between 'Brown' furniture made out of cheap veneer laid onto a substandard base and a nice piece made out of proper Mahogany.

Can't really tell what this was before it got 'improved', but it looks like it was a nice piece to me.

Oh well - I guess when fashions change, someone will be on this forum asking how best to strip it.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back