Making a bed. Need some advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I have built this loft bed. Not exactly how I want it to be but it's the first peice of furniture I've ever made so I knew from the begining that it would want to change things at after I had done it. Anyway... it's done now but I need some advice on the finish!

I am in the process of sanding the pine down so there are no right angles, just rounding everything off subtly. This is going Ok but is taking a loooong time! Afterwards I want to paint it and distress it.

This is the question. What's the best way to darken the pine prior to application of chalk satin paint so when I distress the final coat it's dark underneath. How many coats would you recommend etc etc.

BTW the headboard is not finished, nor are the side etc. Gonna cut curves out of the head board and maybe put an emblem on it if I can figure out how to do it lol

196000_195699_52379_27755380_thumb.jpg

196000_195699_52380_24381390_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
OR

Because I am rounding it off I am not so sure about the distressing. Perhaps just white. Advice on the best way to do this also would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sherlock Holmes reincarnated!! lol

Yeah it's no problem. I only have to remove 10 bolt and then I can take the 2 sides in intact and then join them back together. I have actually taken it apart completely to sand and paint it anyhow!

Sponsored Links
if you had one or more walls to attach to you could have reduced the structure substantial

when i make raised bunks/beds the wall is the side off the bed 6x1 planed forms the structure with 2x2 or3x3" for the legs
baton off 2x1 par around the edge [secured to the wall or 6x1" par]to support the 4x1" par slats

of course if you are after the chunky look its a beautiful job :D :D

Thanks allot! I am quite happy with it for a first project. Already got aspirations of making a coffee table :) next stop the world lol

I do want the chunky look. I figured when I grow up and want a normal bed I could have it as a guest bed in a spare room or something or chop the legs off.

Still don't know whether to paint it white, stain it or distress it! Its taken 2 days to round off and smooth out so I don't want to screw it up now even more so!

If I prime it and then paint it satin white will I still be able to distress it if I want to at a later stage or will the primer prohibit that for working properly/ looking good. Also, do you think pine is too light to distress?

Decisions, decisions.....

pine will tone down to antique pine in a year or so without you doing anything to it

i do hope you chose your mattress first before making your base as mattresses are all shapes and sizes but you will be very very lucky to get a mattress the correct size in both directions

a good tip go for a mattress 12-20mm smaller than the base unit especially on length any more your pillows will finish up in the space any less you will catch the sheets

I already have a mattress and yes I've screwed this part up. The mattres is 5mm bigger in length than the base. I was hoping that apart from fitting sheets being a bit of a pain, this wouldn't be a major issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back