Distributing HDMI to multiple locations over CAT6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have tried to research this before posting but all the information was from a few years ago and I am sure there is better and cheaper equipment now available.

I want to distribute HDMI to multiple locations in my house over CAT6 / Cat5e cables.

Basically I am looking for a device that will take 1 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out, and a minimum of 2 HDMI over Cat6/5e outs. Also of course compatible baluns for the remote end by the TVs.

IR remote would be a bonus and save the need for a Sky compatible distribution amplifiers for Magic Eyes.

Thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
Baluns simply replace "a HDMI Cable". So all you really need is a HDMI splitter (1in to X out) and then balun kits with IR support for X number of HDMI outputs. This will let you take one Sky box signal and watch it in several other locations as well as being able to use the Sky remote in those locations to operate the Sky box.

Thanks Lucid,

I know I can do it with a HDMI splitter and balun kits, I was hoping there was an 'all-in-one' box I could put behind the TV, or in a distribution location to avoid the current situation I have with a HDMI splitter, and a pile of baluns. And worst of all the collection of damned PSU's!

Thanks
Tim

The products I have used on commercial and hi-end domestic jobs that would do what you want are from Octavia and HDAnywhere. The rub is the cost because they do a bit more besides; they are matrix switchers too. They're also very well supported by the trade wholesalers and the manufacturers so I can be confident that they work well with other gear and keep working. The head-end electronics are priced between £700 and £1300. The receiver baluns are extra.

I did a budget commercial job for cricket club about 18 months ago. That was to send Sky and another HDMI source to 3 displays. The product I used there was by AVLink. This was a 4x4 HDMI matrix + conventional balun kits. I know that wouldn't be suitable for you, but the point is that the gear from AVLink seemed to work well and was of decent construction. Keene Electronics sells a 1:4 HDMI to Balun kit system from the same brand (Ebay item number 161814226918) for a shade over £400. You'd have to use one of the baluns for the local HDMI out connection.

The other budget brand I have come across is CYP. They make a head-end box with 3x Cat outs + 1x HDMI out for around £320 (
CYP PU-Q1H4C). The receiver baluns with IR eyes are around £115 each. (PU1106RX + IR eyes).

I am sure there'll be something cheaper out there. What I've found personally is that a lot of it is rubbish. Sometimes on jobs a client will insist on buying some of their own hardware to save a bit of money. When I've hooked it up and tested it there have been problems with compatibility or it shows that there's video compression which knocks the picture quality down. The savings then get wiped out because of the extra time required on site messing around with replacements and additional testing. That's less of an issue in a DIY job, but still I'd just say be careful and make sure you test thoroughly. Also budget something for the cost and hassle of returns

Sponsored Links
Thank you Lucid, that is a very thorough and useful post!

The Octavia kit seems to be unavailable now, but if it was I expect it would cost around the same as the HDAnywhere - eye wateringly expensive!!

The Keene Electronics kit looks like it could be the thing for the job - just a shame it doesn't have 1x regular HDMI out for the room with the Sky box in. But the price is reasonable, and they do have an option there for a kit with just 2 baluns, or ones that fit in a 1gang socket box. All very nice.

The CYP solution is also good, but a little more expensive (But maybe better!).

Up until now, I have been using Neet Baluns and splitters but it was getting a bit messy. Also when they work they are great, but I have had more than my fair share of failures.

Thanks again for the excellent info, I will very likely get one of the kits mentioned!

Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back