Whole House SKY HD x 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to re-wire my house from scratch.

The garage area will by my node zero - all data cables, broadband, telephone, aerial, satellite cables, etc will end up here.

There will be a 42U server rack to store some of my equipment and data switches, etc.

I want to get 2 x Sky HD boxes into this rack and be able to watch them anywhere in the house (potentially 7 rooms).

In terms of the audio/video distribution, there are plenty of HDMI over CAT5 or CAT6 options. There are also the newer HDMI over IP solutions coming in to the market.

What I am struggling with is how can I control 2 Sky boxes?

For example, I'm in room 1 and I want to watch (and control) Sky HD box 1. After a little while, I may want to watch (and control) Sky HD box 2.

Is this possible?

Sponsored Links
P.S. Has anyone had any experience of the new Sky HD 1Tb box?

I can think of a couple of ways to do it.

1) Connect the2nd RF out of each box to a distribution amp and then run it to each room. Then in each room you will need a switch box to switch a 'sky eye' between th two cables. A Sky Eye receives the RF remote signal and sends it down to the box. Make sure the distribution amp is sky eye compatible.

2) Have a look at http://www.dusky-control.com/. You could have a small pc or old notebook etc... running the software. You will then need something to send the commands to the controlling PC such as portable device which has a built in web browser.

There is an inexpensive way to do this using RF2 that doesn't involve switch boxes. The only thing you would need is Sky remotes dedicated to each of the two boxes.

Sponsored Links
I can think of a couple of ways to do it.

1) Connect the2nd RF out of each box to a distribution amp and then run it to each room. Then in each room you will need a switch box to switch a 'sky eye' between th two cables. A Sky Eye receives the RF remote signal and sends it down to the box. Make sure the distribution amp is sky eye compatible.

2) Have a look at http://www.dusky-control.com/. You could have a small pc or old notebook etc... running the software. You will then need something to send the commands to the controlling PC such as portable device which has a built in web browser.

The first option is a not an option for me. Missus and kids will never get their head round this. Whatever I use needs to be invisible and always available.

The second option looks interesting if a little odd. I'll certainly look into it.

There is an inexpensive way to do this using RF2 that doesn't involve switch boxes. The only thing you would need is Sky remotes dedicated to each of the two boxes.

Sorry for being naive - please explain.

I thought that a Sky HD remote would control any Sky HD box. How do you dedicate a remote to a box?

Not even 2 sky boxes required.. just a couple of quad LNB's, connected to one box, a proper setup of CAT6, or even CAT 5, and a couple of repeaters..all controlled by a multi-remote, or even an iPod..

The OP is over-elaborating the setup. This has been done for years. Go to any good AV shop to buy the equipment, and install it. Not rocket science.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back