Sky box no signal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have 2 non HD Sky boxes in 2 different rooms that are used for freeview only.
This week I changed one for a HD Sky box.
When I then put my card from the non HD box into the HD box I seen a message to advise wrong card.

Reading on this site I found how to connect connect the Sky box to the telephone line and request a call back.

This worked fine & now perfect.

Last night I switched on the tv in the room which still has the non HD Sky box to see a message that shows no signal ?

Does this room now require a HD box or please advise.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Unlikely it needs a HD box. HD and SD boxes can live together quite happily so long as they're set up correctly.

This could be a case of coincidence, or there's something happening with the way the signals are being set to the boxes that you haven't mentioned. For example, if you're taking a single LNB feed and then splitting it to feed both boxes then that could be a cause of loss on one or other box.

If this and any other posts helped you, then pay the authors the compliment of hitting the thanks button. It shows your appreciation and marks the reply for those looking for answers in the future.

Hi,
Before I changed the one to a HD all was fine.
The LNB is 4 way and I have a separate cable going to each box.

Just looking in the setup screen, where it shows signal strength then there should be good/strong or 60/85% etc etc it’s blank.

I unplugged this box for one hour and connected it again but still the same, no signal is being received etc.

Swap the two boxes around and check if one or other doesn't get a signal. This'll rule in/out the cabling.

Sponsored Links
There is not in out as both have a separate cable straight from the dish.

You have a 4 output LNB but are only using 2 of them. Just swop the cables into the unused connectors to see if you get a fix.

Hi,
Picked up another Sky + HD box.
Swapped them over and now perfect.

My issue now is connecting 1 scary lead.

On the old sky box there was 2 scart poets but in this HD box there is only 1.

I had my tv connected to one recorder scart then the other recorder scart to the tv.

So now I have 1 scart but nothing to connect it too.

The +HD boxes and the newer HD receivers are designed to support TVs with HDMI connections and that can show an image at up to 1080i resolution. SCART can't do that. So this is why it has taken a back seat.

IIRC, although the basic SD Sky and Sky+ boxes had dual SCARTS, only one of them was capable of RGB. This was the one that we all connected to our CRT TVs because RGB gives a noticeably superior picture. The alternative setting was (and still is) PAL, which is Sky's way of describing composite video. We see composite video connections more commonly as the yellow RCA phono socket.

AFAIK, all but the latest gen 2TB Sky+HD boxes have the yellow, red and the white RCA phono sockets. It's possible then to get hold of a cable or use an adapter to connect those three sockets to a SCART. This will provide you with a way to archive from Sky if that's what you're after.

The only catch is that without the bi-directional connection provided by SCART, your Sky box won't switch over and send the signal direct to your TV as it would have done when via the VCR/decoder SCART socket when the VCR was switched on. You're going to have to live with that I'm afraid. Make a direct connection from the VCR to your TV and remember to change AV inputs.

If this and any other posts helped you, then pay the authors the compliment of hitting the thanks button. It shows your appreciation and marks the reply for those looking for answers in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back