IR distribution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm going to locate a Sky box and HTPC in a 19 "rack alongside network switches, patch panel and uhf amp in a remote cupboard. Ill be distributing HDMI from the Sky box and HTPC to 4 tv's (alongside uhf and ethernet) via a hdmi splitter and baluns. I won't be using a 4x4 matrix due to cost.
Can anyone suggest an ir extender system which will switch devices in the 19" rack from any of the 4 tv locations?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you don't want to use a matrix then I take it you plan to have two 1in:4out HDMI distribution amps. You'll be sending two HDMI signals (via baluns) to each room and then using the TVs to switch sources?

There's a couple of different ways to skin this cat. You could opt for baluns with built-in IR relay. That will get a bit messy though with all the IR eyes.

A simpler solution would be the Triax Tri-Link kit. This works like the Sky Eye system: Same Eyes, just different control gear in the rack. The difference is that you can control more than just a Sky box. I use them where a client wants to watch Freeview PVR recordings or DVD/Blu-ray in another room. It's compatible with any standard IR remote controls.

In your situation you'd still use HDMI for picture and sound. RF would still carry the UHF signals for Freeview. It would also relay back IR commands to the Sky box and the HTPC. The Tri-Link comes with two stick-on IR emitters. These are places over the IR receiver of the box you want to control. It also works with Sky RF2. So whether your Sky box has an RF socket or not, you still have control of it covered.

Tri-Link is available for under £50. Add some additional Sky Eyes and you'll be in business for less than £70 all in. You'll need some extyra Sky remotes and whatever remote you're using for the HTPC.

While we are here, have you tried the Sky+ control app yet? Your Apple or Android phone can control a Sky+HD box that's connected to the same wireless/wired network.

That's a really neat solution Lucid. I was going to run some cable in for the IR detectors but now I don't have to seeing as I'm using the coax for the RF. I have tried the sky app but it seems like a bit of a faff to unlock the phone and launch the app just to change channel.

Thanks for your help with this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back