Diverter actuator problem? or pin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance for reading.

I have had issues with my boiler for ages, so finally got round to sorting it. I replaced the diaphragm of the diverter valve and cleaned it out and cleaned the Heat exchanger - I know have hot water for the first time in 4 years!!! CH seems to run well when it lights.

However, I do have a problem.

Sometimes, when CH is called it will not light, you can hear the motor going. To get it to work, i remove the diverter valve actuator and manually push the pin down, then it lights. Obviously as soon as release it it goes out.

If I then stop the heating, put the actuator back on and then call for CH - more often than not it will light fine.

Also, not sure if related, but if I put it in DHW mode and run tap the same thing happens.

DHW works amazingly when CH is running.

Any ideas? The diverter pin appears to go down as lock as required (it doesnt go back up it just goes loose).

I have even tried a different actuator, same thing.

Hope all that makes sense!

It is an Ideal mini c28

Cheers all!

Should I stick a bit of vaseline on the pin in diverter valve?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The actuator on the valve is supposed to just go loose, that is how it works, when demanded the motor Pushes the pin and when demand ceases it just goes slack, the actuator will not tell or stop the boiler from firing, it might fire but go off very quickly as no circulation , but it will not stop the boiler from firing

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
UPDATE !!!

I finally just went for it and I replaced the Ignition PCB... and it now works! Just thought its good to get a solve to the mystery. Hot water and heating when I want it for the first time in 4 years!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back