diverter leaking - Worcester 9.24 e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Need your help and advice. Over the past couple of days noticed a few drips from the bottom right of our combi boiler.

I've taken the cover off and had a look and think i've found where its leaking from. Its leaking just in the middle of the diverter valve, where the valve seems to join in two pieces. There is the main circular body at the top with the microswitch on it. Below there appears to be a threaded part with what looks like a couple of grub screws fastening the top to the bottom cylindrical unit. Its from this mid part that it is leaking.

My question is do i need to buy a complete diverter valve or is it something (like a perished o ring) that can be changed where its leaking.

Finally, am i right in assuming that i need to drain down. Looking at the isolation valves i dont want to touch them in case they start leaking as well :rolleyes:

Manny thanks

Gez

Sponsored Links
boiler guys???

Any advice is really appreciated

This appears to be exactly whats happening to my 9.24 so I'll be watching this thread with interest.. :D

This morning we discovered water on the counter below, in the control board enclosure & in the right hand side bottom channel.

Its most likely to be the mains water leaking.

If system pressure holds up then its mains water....

On one of the 9.24 variants the gas valve has to be removed to get at the diverter valve.

I would replace the whole valve but then the customer pays. If they paid me extra to fiddle about with the valve then its stil 20 years old. If I fit a new one its about the same price and its NEW !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony.... If its the worcester 9.24 electronic then the gas valve is on the far left.

Gez.... Not uncommon for these diverters to leak after years of use.

I suggest that you replace the whole diverter assembly rather than looking to strip it down. First you are right in thinking that you should leave the isolation valves alone. On a boiler this old they will leak afterwards. Isolate the cold supply (via your stopcock), then drain off the hot water side by just opening a tap until it stops running.

Next drain down the heating side. DON'T use the prv in the boiler. Turn off all your rads and then empty the pipework using a draincock.

Boiler electrics off and some towels to cover the front panel. Bucket underneath right side of boiler to catch remnants of water. Remove microswitch on top and then undo the five union nuts. Remove old and install new.

Now sorted. I decided not to do it myself as the leak seemed to be getting worse and i didnt want to risk draining down all the rads etc.

First plumber said the diverter valve was now an obsolete item and that i needed a new combi. Then he scratched his ar@e and said he could get one in a week or so at a cost of £100 just for the part.

So, i phoned BG. Engineer came out with the part and fitted it for £99. After all the flack that BG get i was well impressed....and i wasn't sold anything else.

Gez

Now sorted.

So, i phoned BG. Engineer came out with the part and fitted it for £99. After all the flack that BG get i was well impressed....and i wasn't sold anything else.

Gez

Something odd about that price!

I am told that the BG fixed price repair is about £190 ???

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back