diverter valve issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When i turn off the hot water tap i can hear a sound in our central heating pipe like flowing water for a while. I'm told it could be the diverter valve.
How badly can this deteriorate? It has been doing this for a while.
We still have heating and HW.
We also seem to have a lot of air in the system, some of the rads regularly fill up with air.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The easiest way to check this is wait until the heating and water have not been used for about an hour. Run a hot tap and feel if the central heating flow pipe gets hot when the tap is running or shortly after it has been turned off.

If it does get hot you have a faulty diverter valve!

The easiest way to check this is wait until the heating and water have not been used for about an hour. Run a hot tap and feel if the central heating flow pipe gets hot when the tap is running or shortly after it has been turned off.

If it does get hot you have a faulty diverter valve!

Can anyone please confirm that the above is a definite test for a faulty DV. If your heating flow pipe gets hot when heating is off and hot water is turned on does this definitely confirm a bad DV? In my case I'm still getting both heating and hot water but when I do both at the same time, quite often the boiler stops firing and gets the flashing ignition indicator. The flow pipe definitely gets hot even with the heating off.

I think what the guys above are trying to get across is all boilers are different ghis promblem COULD be the diverter valve but maybe not if you enlighten us the the make and model of your boiler we may be able to advise you.

For example a Viessmann combi will open the ch on hw mode if it gets too hot and wants to disperse the heat this is a result of poor flow/blockage

I think what the guys above are trying to get across is all boilers are different ghis promblem COULD be the diverter valve but maybe not if you enlighten us the the make and model of your boiler we may be able to advise you.

For example a Viessmann combi will open the ch on hw mode if it gets too hot and wants to disperse the heat this is a result of poor flow/blockage

It's a vaillant Turbomax Vuw 242 1/e. Could the hot flow pipe possibly be caused by a weak/faulty pump causing the poor flow that results in the hot water being dispersed to the heating?

Could the hot flow pipe possibly be caused by a weak/faulty pump causing the poor flow that results in the hot water being dispersed to the heating?

I'd say NO! The pump is common to both. It's notmal for the flow pipe to heat when the tap's turned OFF, but not before. DV diaphragm or seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back