Diverter valve issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently have had our old thermostat replaced with a Google Nest. However, we are having an issue with central heating.

It now will only come on when the hot water is also being heated.

I've had a look at the diverter valve, which has the markings "H M W" on. The indicator defaults to W.

When the central heating is turned on, it remains in "W".

When the hot water is turned on, it moves to "M".

When both are on, it moves to "M".

Under no combination does it move to "H".

If I press the switch on the side of the valve, it moves to "M" and then moves back to "W" when I release the switch.

I'd expect that for hot water only it would stay in "W", and that for central heating only it would move to "W".

I'm still playing around with it, but I think this is also resulting in the central heating not turning on when the hot water tank is up to temperature.

Before I start getting the electrician back, or calling in a plumber, is anyone able to advise if this is likely to be a wiring issue (and is there an easy \ safe way to check this?), or is this likely to be a valve fault?

Thanks for any thoughts or help.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_5799.jpg
    IMG_5799.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
When selecting heating only at programmer ,the MPV should move to H not W as you stated above.
When was the stat replaced ,and did system ever work properly after it was replaced ??

Post a pic of the wiring in your nest, sounds like it has been done wrong

Thanks for the replies:

When was the stat replaced ,and did system ever work properly after it was replaced ??

No - which makes me think something isn't quite right rather than the valve suddenly dying!

Post a pic of the wiring in your nest, sounds like it has been done wrong

Please see image attached, thanks for your thoughts!

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_5802.jpg
    IMG_5802.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies:

No - which makes me think something isn't quite right rather than the valve suddenly dying!

Please see image attached, thanks for your thoughts!

Tom
You dont have a wire in terminal 4 HW OFF , that is your problem

Thank you very much - I'll ask the electrician to have a look at that.

Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back