HIVE Mid Position Valve Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I've recently had HIVE installed by British GAS and now when I select Hot Water only the radiators also heat up. I've looked at the mid position valve and it's moving to M when HW only is called instead of W. When the HW is turned off it moves to H (CH is also off).

I've looked at the wiring and it seems OK to me (even though I'm looking with an untrained eye) and it worked OK before HIVE was installed so I guessing it must be a wiring issue in the LWC1 wiring centre somewhere.

If I power off the system the valve resets to W but if I power back on, and switch on the HW it moves to M.

The BG engineer said he had to do 'some re-wiring' when he installed HIVE, all I can see that he did was jumper terminals 2 & 3 to remove the stat but there must be something else...

Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Won't be able to get them back for while due to the current situation (it's not an emergency, just annoying), but guessing it must be something relatively easy to fix?

but guessing it must be something relatively easy to fix?
It probably is, but without further information such as pictures of all the wiring and where those wires are connected it will be impossible to know.

Whether BG can return or not really isn't the point - you have paid for installation and they got it wrong. They either return to fix it, or refund what you paid for the installation.
Radiators heating up when HW only is needed isn't a minor problem either - you will be wasting vast amounts of gas and heating up your house throughout the summer when it's not needed.

Sponsored Links
Pictures attached of the wiring centre and hive back plate. The connections to the hive receiver look correct.

Attachments

• 73D3425B-55B3-4F8A-BAE1-E8D0EA9EF8E7.jpeg
    73D3425B-55B3-4F8A-BAE1-E8D0EA9EF8E7.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 101
  • 3F75A672-A71F-46F7-9BFE-3111836279DA.jpeg
    3F75A672-A71F-46F7-9BFE-3111836279DA.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DC09009B-0A77-4875-A952-DA95BE7DD85C.jpeg
    DC09009B-0A77-4875-A952-DA95BE7DD85C.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 109
The red wire in 3 (highlighted in pink below) is wrong. There should be nothing connected there other than the small red link wire.
With the power OFF, remove that wire and put it in the spare 1 terminal. Leave the small red link between 2&3 as it is.

Unclear exactly what that wire is for, but it's most likely live when the boiler is on, and as it's connected to white for heating on it will override the Hive settings.
That wire and several others probably need to be disconnected and removed, but that's not possible without further investigation.

What happened to the old thermostat, and the wiring at that location?

wire_fail.jpg

That seems to off fixed it, thanks!!

the old stat wiring was removed by the BG engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back