DIY Bathroom uplift

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Apologies for a long post.

I have been lurking on this forum but not posted much, I am doing a DIY project and need some help so registered today and this is my first post.

A bit about me, am an IT expert and a basic DIYer but reading forums here, I want to give my DIY skills a test by uplifting my bathroom. The uplift includes :-

1. Installing a bigger shower enclosure
2. Installing some vanity furniture/cupboards/shelves/mirror
3. install a new basin at the same location, the one which is boxed in the modern ones.

I will not be doing any electrics in bathroom (& if i have to do, I will have to get an electrician due to regulations for any work in bathrom}

my first question :-

1. Plumbing Supplies

What are the options {reliable options} for sourcing your plumbing supplies?

I have heard of likes of Screwfix, B&Q, HomeBase, Plumbcity, Cityplumbing, plumbcenter and many more online read some of their reviews and am confused which one shall i use. Cost is obviously a factor but if the difference is 10-20£ in items and I can get better reliability and after service if there are issues, I will prefer to pay the extra difference.

2. First task is to install a new shower enclosure, reading to threads here and youtube videos on shower tray installation, there are two options given :-

a) Riser tray installation : which can be installed on legs, the legs are screwed into floor.
b) cement mix installation over ply over a raised wooden plinth.
c) Floor installation : not an option for me due to joist position and also the current tray is raised as well so will be easy to reuse some of existing pipe work.

I will prefer a riser kit installation which goes on legs. I currently have a 800 * 800 shower tray with upstands in the corner with walls on two sides. I want to upgrade it to 1200 * 800 shower tray. My question is

a) Which is good (quality & cost) brand of shower tray? I have heard Mira, coram, jt4.
b) the current tray has waste in middle on the left edge, i will prefer a tray with similar location of waste, i have seen Mira flight have them in the front edge on the corner and coram coratech have some trays which have them in the middle. What are your views on these two brands quality. Any other brands which you think i should also consider.

I am at risk of going on and on with my questions, so i will ask more questions as some of above questions become clear.

many thanks

regards

Sponsored Links
Fitted mira and JT trays among others , Would say the mira is the better quality of the two. once had a bent 1200 x 800 JT 40, they replaced it but was a hassle . they should always be stored flat

The larger dedicated plumbers merchants are ok but if you don't have a trade account you'll most likely pay through the nose. Toolstation or Screwfix are good alternatives if you stick to decent branded products.

I have found Mira Flight trays to be good quality with all the extra bits and pieces available if required e.g. shower tray panel

thanks ...

when you say "should be stored flat" does it mean if i can make sure they are level on legs using the riser kit, it should be fine?

Sponsored Links
Think it means don't store the tray vertically, for example, before use. Level on the legs is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back