Diy boiler replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Grandmother had to have a replacement boiler fitted in to her kitchen at her massive detatched 12 bedroomed house in Twickers ,London.The original one was a Ravenheat 475 Kw Blast box which was ok when it ran ,need I say more!,so between us we rang a few of these gas engineers locally & decided upon using a fitter from East Ham who seemed to be so nice to her on the phone,any way he said he would come round and give us an estimate one day so 6 weeks later he arrived with his bass(not the fish) and proceeded to assess the situation,the strange thing was when I asked him for his Gas Safe Registration he said that he was Greyhound registered which he said meant Gas registered European yardstick for housing & National Domestics,I thought this seemed rather strange as I had not heard of this type of reg before(I am a fully qualified Electrician to Approved standard),also he was covered from head to foot in like a black carbon cordite type of powder with that distinctive smell of spent explosives,any way after about half an hour he produced an estimate ,God above ,he said for the days work involved it would cost my dear old Grandmother about £ 700 just for labour only,well that finally did it to think that he had the audacity & cheek to charge a poor old lady £700 just to turn off the gas swap an old boiler over and re route a few pipes so I told him to get off this property before I break both your bloody legs and ram that bass up somewhere you legalised crook,never seen any body run so fast from a mansion when I mentioned the Police,so the final question of this saga is can I do the work myself as she has only a pension & about 11 million in shares etc.?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back