DIY boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, bear with me this might be a strange one.
I have a father-in-law with mental health problems, part of his illness is that he thinks he’s always right but unable to think things through properly. He’s in his late 70s but won’t admit he should take it easy. He struggles to understand verbal arguments preferring things to be written down. His wife is at her wits end, but because he is very domineering she doesn’t know what to do, the house is in his name which he lets her know about all the time.
Couple of things,
He has a solid fuel burner, I think it’s about 8kw, which they had properly installed several years ago.
He has an unlimited free supply of wood, broken pallets which burn fast but it is free and only 10 mins away from home to collect with his trailer.
Just now his only source of heating is the fuel burner and 2 wall heaters for the other rooms.
He heats his water up with an older electric cylinder, which he uses as little as possible, preferring to boil a kettle to wash up.
He is eligible for a free new boiler and heating system, which he has refused for years to have but has agreed to now.
He is in the middle of building a house extension, but due to his illness making him think he can do most of it himself and knowing better than the building regulation and planning people and neighbours is now costing a lot more than it should and taking a lot longer.
Part of his illness seems to be that when he has an idea, where most of us would think thing through to see if it is sensible, he just starts it and stuff the consequences.
Ok now for what I need the advice on.
His latest idea is to heat water up with his solid fuel burner, with the view that he will get free hot water. He is intending to have a tank made to sit on top of the burner, then with two pipes, one in one out, now I’m not sure of intention after that, whether to send it to the tank upstairs or pump it out straight to the taps. He originally wanted to run radiators off it but I think that has changed.
This isn’t just an idea, he has already run the pipes to his burner, cutting holes in his chimney wall and then through the wall into the kitchen. In true bodged type DIY style these pipes are in full ugly view.
I have tried to point out to him how dangerous this idea is, pointing out that the tank will overheat and explode. His response is that he can regulate the water heat by how much fuel he burns and that it’s not a sealed system as there are pipes coming off it which the water can expand to.

As well as the danger pitfalls and regulations, which I know you guys can easily quote for me, I need some calculations of why even if it did work why this wouldn’t be economical. The tank alone will come to about £500, so I’ guessing his spend will be about £700. For example say he was able to heat up 2 gals a day, how much would it cost a new gas boiler to heat the same. Example- if it cost the gas boiler 20p to heat up the 2 gals then at gals a day £700 / 365 / £0.20 = 9.59 years, so it would take him 9.59 years just to get his money back. How would I put it onto words how to factor time, fuel and labour of getting the “free” fuel?
Ok, now you’ve finished scratching your heads and laughing, any thought or ideas? Before you say get him sectioned we’ve been there done that and got the tee-shirts a few times, he just plays the system and starts again.

Sponsored Links
Correctly piped up his stove is a great idea.
Wish I was there to advise him direct. He's on the right tracks but just needs a little steering imo.

He sounds like a grand old fella and his idea with the water heater is sound... Avise him that he is best to use 28mm pipe to and from the boiler (NO valves between the boiler and cylinder) and his feed and expansion tank should be heat resistant so best to look at a metal tank (Stainless or copper) with a copper float on the float valve....There is a purpose made water heater that mounts on to the flue pipe... Can't remember what it is called but they do exist. If he replaced the old cylinder with a thermal store then he could link the new boiler to the solid fuel boiler so that the stove would contribute towards heating both the hot water and the heating (Not much however) and your mum could still have a reliable heating system and mains pressure hot water.. All the stuff I mention is "Off the shelf"

He sounds like a control freak, just like my old man. Crazy schemes, without a thought for practicalities or anyone else's opinions.

Don't worry about the house being in just his name. If they have been married for years, and particularly if the house was acquired during during the marriage, it's joint assets. Despite what he thinks or says.

Unusual to get relationship advice on a plumbing forum, but it all sounds very familiar.

Sponsored Links
"I have a father-in-law with mental health problems, part of his illness is that he thinks he’s always right but unable to think things through properly."

Good God, that covers at least 50% of us as well.

Sorry to hear that mate, it's such a shame for the old fella. I guess it's a reflection of modern health care where our body can still be very active, but our brain can't keep up. A sad fact that too many of us face!!

An 8KW stove will mainly give it's output to the room where it's sited, unless it's fitted with a 'rap around' type of back boiler, he'll be farting at thunder when it comes to heating water.

Hi, sorry I did not expand on the mental health problems as I was wanting advise on the boiler and whether it makes economical sense and if there are any potential dangers as he is renown for taking shortcuts.
An example is his back garden and structures he has erected, deciding he needs lights our there he has run a two core 1'5mm cable with a series of lights connected, the light are interior pendants hanging inside plastic milk bottles to protect from the rain, maybe ok for a temporary solution but they have been there over a year already. He even hung one over the fence for the neighbours 7 year old to see his birds.
The mental health problems are not age related, he has been in and out of hospital over the past 50 years and has just become a part of life for the family. Maybe got a bit more problematic the past few years since he started his extension, and that he took half his back roof off and removed the wall heaters 2 days before he went back to hospital for the past two months. He never had any wood for the burner as he was too busy with the extension to get any. I had to get the wood for his wife, and fair doos to him getting enough wood cut up was hard work, he doesn't mind working hard, I wouldn't like to do it regularly especially at his age.
He has been out of hospital 2 days, and already had the neighbours call the police on him and the planning officer threatening to put a stop to his extension. He does keep life interesting.
Anyway what I want to know about is the boiler. I'm glad its ok for him to do this and that its safe. I though he might be in breach of building regulations doing it himself. He has used 15mm copper pipes and says they are fine and don't need changing (he got the pipe and most of the fittings from a skip by a local house that is being renovated and doesn't want to waste them), is 28mm really needed and why?
He won't buy the suggested of the shelf tanks as he wants one to fit in the space he has so is getting one made.

Sorry to hear that mate, it's such a shame for the old fella. I guess it's a reflection of modern health care where our body can still be very active, but our brain can't keep up. A sad fact that too many of us face!!

An 8KW stove will mainly give it's output to the room where it's sited, unless it's fitted with a 'rap around' type of back boiler, he'll be farting at thunder when it comes to heating water.

His illness is that his brain won't slow down, lol, just hard for us to keep up.
He reckons that 8 KW it makes no difference, as its more about the amount of fuel you put in. I must admit I wondered about this myself that's why I mentioned it, I don't know whether it would work, or if it did how much extra fuel he wold have to obtain. The wood is free but still a lot of work to collect, cut up and store.

He sounds like a control freak, just like my old man. Crazy schemes, without a thought for practicalities or anyone else's opinions.

Don't worry about the house being in just his name. If they have been married for years, and particularly if the house was acquired during during the marriage, it's joint assets. Despite what he thinks or says.

Unusual to get relationship advice on a plumbing forum, but it all sounds very familiar.

Sorry, I never saw your post. Yes I posted on here hoping for advise about the boiler. But didn't want peeps to think it was me trying to get advise on how to do it myself so thought some background was needed. Sounds like I'm not alone with problematic parents. So far it does seem that what he is doing isn't dangerous. I know what you mean about joint assets, just want to make sure the assets don't blow up, I'm scared he might have to come and live here if it does lol.

"is 28mm really needed and why?"

It allows the gravity circuit to operate nice and smoothly.

The small pipes will slow down the boilers heat output to the point where it will just boil unless the fuel is kept low.
So you end up with an under performing stove and a very noisy one.

"is 28mm really needed and why?"

It allows the gravity circuit to operate nice and smoothly.

OK, thanks, but will 15mm work? Please bear in mind limited plumbing experience, mine is basic DIY experience, his came from being a plumbers assistant when a teen and DIYer since. To get him to change I change I would need to prove 15mm is no good.
Won't hel have to put a lot of fuel in as it is only a 8KW boiler?
He intends sitting the tank on top of the stove, which is a free standing unit with a top pipe connected too the flue, how would this make the stove noisy?

"OK, thanks, but will 15mm work?"

No.

What make is the stove? Ultimately you should be following what they advise.

Fuelling the stove just depends on how long its run every day.
If its fired up at 9.00am to 10.00pm every day in winter then yes it requires quite a lot of fuel.

Depending on size, a stove used as the primary means to heat one room may require 3-4m³ of wood per year.

Why does he not want to buy a new stove with built in water heating jacket?

I also suffer from that illness of always thinking that I am right.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back