DIY boiler

I think it's a Hunter, I believe he first contacted either them or some company that made a tank for them, but he didn't like their advise, the tank they did suggest was the wrong shape size and price, and he says he can get one made cheaper and better.

Sponsored Links
Why does he not want to buy a new stove with built in water heating jacket?

I also suffer from that illness of always thinking that I am right.

Tony

Like many of us DIYers we do it to save money. He doesn't want to buy a new stove when he already has one. It took us several years to convince him to accept a free boiler and heating system, he still changes his mind daily, as he the gas is not free.

28mm pipes also allow the water to boil without excessive pressures building up in the event of the boiler overheating... 28mm even when pumped...15mm just won't do!

Sponsored Links
I hope this water heater isn't unvented and connected to the mains :idea:

I think it's a Hunter, I believe he first contacted either them or some company that made a tank for them, but he didn't like their advise, the tank they did suggest was the wrong shape size and price, and he says he can get one made cheaper and better.

Print this out and give it to him...
http://www.hunterstoves.co.uk/Assets/Old_Instructions/Herald 08 Wet CE Instructions V.01.08.pdf

Might not be the exact stove but it gives an idea of what's required.

Also Hetas wet training manual...
http://tinyurl.com/p22mxdc
Also the woodwarm manual which gives a good explanation on the importance of the HI-Lo stats..
http://tinyurl.com/6xcte8y

Thanks for that, mostly what I was after.
I've been chatting to him on the phone to get out of him what he intends doing. Basically when he gets a new boiler he intends using the old system, The outlet from the old electric cylinder in his loft, which is close to above his stove, is going to feed into his tank sat onto his log burner, this he claims is "half inch" and so will be ok. He also thinks that because he is connecting this to a vented system then that part is ok. he then intends to draw this off straight to a tap, again through "half inch" pipe to the kitchen.
As I said he can't think things through properly, when I pointed out this would involve two hot taps in the kitchen he changed the subject quick.
He is adamant now he doesn't need it approved or a hetas engineer, as the stove is already installed, all he is doing is putting a "tank" in his lounge not a "boiler".
I will print those leaflets out to show him.

Note what the Hetas training manual states on pipe sizing from the boiler.
28mm minimum!

A second cylinder just above the stove will look a real sight and no need for it when he already has a cylinder in the loft that could probably be utilized.

He intends using the cylinder in the loft to supply his new tank on top of the stove, the outlet from the new tank to go straight to a tap in the kitchen. He did originally intend to heat some radiators up as well but changed his mind now.
I will point out to him where it says 28mm pipes. He is adamant he does not need them.
A separate question, the new gas boiler, one possible place to site it would have the flue about 5 feet from an outside aviary. Is there any fumes that could cause a problem having it this close?

Check out the Charnwood stove website. They have a boiler which tales heat from the flue. It is independant of the stove.

Thanks for all your help, the flue boiler looks great and found one on ebay for £200, which would be perfect.
However, and I mean a big however. The father in law has decided that what he is doing isn't a boiler!!!! and just a tank, so he doesn't need bigger pipes or follow any regulations.
So I think I will just repeat what all you have said, if he lets me say it all, then just sit back and wait until I can say "I told so".
Thanks again anyway.

I might update this in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back