Ideal 30 boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had 3 CORGI plumbers come round to give me estimates to replace my old boiler with a combi condensing to go in the airing cupboard in the loft.

One never produced an estimate, although he spent an hour looking around. Another gave me a very high estimate. And the final one said he'd do the job, extending the gas pipe to the loft, plus replace 6 radiators and install a towel rail for 4,000k.

I asked which boiler he would install and he said he only does Ideal 30's. He said they cost a little less and he's had no problems with them.

What is your opinion on this? I know they're not the favourite, but are they a guaranteed disaster, or is it possible to install them properly and have no problems?

Thanks all for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Ideal have a reputation for producing the worst boilers ever made - some models have only lasted 3 years.

They come up with flawed designs and as a business have little ethics.

I suggest you use the forums search facility to see for yourself.

Your installer is very misguided in recommending an Ideal boiler (he probably does not undertake repairs else he would see the error of his ways).

Even their own sales reps freely admit they produce appalling boilers :eek:

Agree with gasguru. I used to fit Ideal HE boilers. Never again :mad:

their about as good as some

as long as the system is clean it should be grand

just make sure you get some insurance on it

:)

Sponsored Links
ideal are truly the most god awful boilers ever made.
i just last week had to pull out a 2year and 3 month old ideal boiler.

must say that we had terrible trouble with them about three years ago but from then they seem to be holding up (fingers crossed)

plus the fact they are blooming cheap

:)

THanks guys, you're confirming what I suspected. The fact is, this CORGI gasman was the only one I liked of the three who came round, and I've had no luck with other attempts at getting estimates. So I'm a bit strapped.

He did say he was going to clean the system, which is why he's replacing the radiators, as they're really old, and he assures me he has been installing these boilers for some time and hasn't had any problems as long as they're installed correctly and the system is clean. I'll see what he says when he comes to measure up, but I'll be definitely asking for some guarantee from him.

I was kind of hoping that with new clean radiators and following the installation rules properly, I might be ok. Maybe this is not to be, if only he agreed to install a better model I'd go for it, but he only orders Ideals he said.

Ideal have loads of problems that have nothing to do with clean water in the system. PCB's, gas valves, fans. diverter valves on combis, burner bolts jamming in the threads at back of burner.

Ask him why he only fits these, and was it your choice to have new rads or his. If you are happy with their visual appeal stick to your old ones, even if one leaks after flushing, very unlikely it is still cheaper than a new system :rolleyes:

Ok, I'll ask all these questions when I next see Mr. Gasman. Thanks for your advice, hopefully I'll be able to push him to order a better make for a few hundred more. I don't want to be changing this thing in a few months' time.

An update.. I spoke to my gasman and he's agreed to install a Vaillant.

Many thanks for your advice, I'm much happier with this solution, given the comments I've read on this message board..

You've all been extremely helpful, thanks for your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back