Ideal Response 120 boiler/heat exchanger fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My combi boiler, Ideal Response 120, was installed in 2001. After 2 years Ideal guarantee, I took out an Ideal GCH Breakdown Cover. Recently the DHW is varying in temperature at the sinks and bath taps and is at best lukewarm. Water flow from taps is very good. The shower has a thermostat, and needs recalibrating as it needs to be turned up higher to get warmer. I have had to mess about with it twice before, unscrew front cover and turn it with a screwdriver.

Anyway, the Ideal engineer came out last week and replaced the thermostat, and igniter. He said that the Heat Exchanger is likely to be scaled up and needs changing. He gave an order to Ideal to order part, also a fan and igniter to finish job properly. They are now saying 2 things which have confused me. Firstly they told me the boiler is beyond economic repair (ie cost to repair boiler estimated exceeds its value) as a HE costs £600 and labour £300, and secondly that their business side is saying that this won't last the course. He intimated that this boiler has had a lot of problems with HE recalls and they don't last once replaced, even though the boiler is under 10 years old.

Does anyone know if this make has had a lot of problems with HE as a manufacturing fault? have replacements lasted?

They have opted to offer me an Ideal Isar HE35 for £625 and I cover the cost of installation. Any advice there?

many thanks in advance,

Lynne

Sponsored Links
the h/e's on these are a well known failing. the entire boiler is nasty TBH.

the isar isnt any better, whatever you do dont fit that abortion.

are they actually refusing under the terms and conditions to repair the boiler? i would have a good look through your small print if i were you.

It is well documented that these boilers have been very unreliable!

I replaced a two year old boiler only to discover that it was itself a replacement provided free when the first failed after two years.

I think that you should pressurise them to give you value for the insurance cover that you are paying for.

I would save money and buy a 35 kW Biasi M110 as they are more reliable and a little cheaper!

Tony

Hi Nickso,

Thanks for your reply. What is TBH? yes they are refusing to repair. If its a manufacturing fault, surely Ideal should be offering the HE part and repairs for free?

Good advice about reading the small print and asking them ubder what terms they are refusing to repair. Have taken on board the Isar comments.

best
Lynne

Sponsored Links
agree with last post
Heat Exchanger problems continually beset the response usually they fail and leak into the burner!!

fitted Icos / Isar models for a while most have been problematic at some point
don't use ideal, glowworm or baxi/potterton at all now need i say more

Vaillant Ecotec is my prefered fit never been back to any except to service!

Hi Nickso,

Thanks for your reply. What is TBH? yes they are refusing to repair. If its a manufacturing fault, surely Ideal should be offering the HE part and repairs for free?

Good advice about reading the small print and asking them ubder what terms they are refusing to repair. Have taken on board the Isar comments.

best
Lynne

TBH= to be honest.

from what you have written they will refuse to do it in your case because it is due to water quality. that will probably be one of the biggest escape clauses in the T+C's.

they do have reliability issues with the H/e on these though. i have replaced many and they rarely last more than a few years, less with poor water quality.

my advice is either cut your losses and install something decent or you could take your chances with another firm or independant willing to repair it, i would see it as money down the drain but it depends on whether you have the money to replace it right now.

Tony and Kevin,

Thanks, will look up Biasi 35kw M110, and Vaillant Ecotec, sound like its only a matter of time till it needs changing.

Unfortunately Ideal only put in their own brand.

cheers
Lynne

I have seen people quoting trade prices of significantly less than £600.

But they do take me at least two hours to change and they are very heavy!

Tony

Thanks guys! I am now reconciled to getting the job done properly, and and won't be opting for an ideal boiler, although I'll see what Ideal will come back with tomorrow.

did ideal take a water sample from your old boiler (sorry sounds like a carry on film)
if not and they claim it is the reason why it failed ask them back.

Hi Powermaxer,

They are not claiming its scaled water, but good point. They say that there is a blockage on the report, not what the engineer said as the flow of DHW is as good as cold water supply. Seems that they say its beyond economical repair as a 7.5 year boiler as they estimate it to be worth £250 and the repair is estimated at £1200. So repair exceeds its worth and they refuse to repair it.

They have come back and offered to supply Ideal Isar Combi HE35 at £415 as long as I install and flush the system. They are saying that the 3rd version of Isar combis are reliable whereas they had trouble with earlier versions. Is this so?

I am considering my options but its likely that I'll change it.

thanks

Lynne

Hi Powermaxer,

they are saying that the 3rd version of Isar combis are reliable whereas they had trouble with earlier versions. Is this so?

thanks

Lynne

3rd version!!!! says a lot doesn't it!!! reliable compared to what? a chocolate teapot!

as previous post says we WON'T fit Potterton baxi ideal as they are not reliable enough.

Hi Powermaxer,

they are saying that the 3rd version of Isar combis are reliable whereas they had trouble with earlier versions. Is this so?

thanks

Lynne

3rd version!!!! says a lot doesn't it!!! reliable compared to what? a chocolate teapot!

as previous post says we WON'T fit Potterton baxi ideal as they are not reliable enough.

i might have certain baxi's if i had a gun to my head.

the isar is closer to its 4th version if you count the ideal turdo 2 that it was based on. they still cant get it right with the elise or whatever they are calling it now.

forget ideal, they should be paying you to put one of their boilers in.

bite the bullet and go for a vaillent ecotec. My fitter travelled 350 miles to fit mine and knew he wouldn't have to return for problems. They are so good he gets no call outs on them, only servicing. The DHW is good too.

:oops: I think I got the message- and reliability is key, I better stop my direct debit!

ta chaps
Lynne

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back