Ideal Response Boiler (combi) 120

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having trouble with our boiler, its a combi Ideal Response 120.

Stopped working suddenly - noticed when switch on hot top on Monday for a shower.

boiler appeared to be firing up when hot tap switched on.

Couldn't isolate the problem so had an engineer come out. He suggested that it was a gas problem, and thus contacted TRANSCO. They replaced the gas regulator outside, but still no joy.

Do we need to leave the boiler on and running for a few hours in order for it to reset or something similar - any help appreciated.

The only thing I can think of that we've done differently is top up the presure via the filling loop as it had dropped below the '1' mark.

Sponsored Links
What is happening exactly.

When you turn on a tap does the boiler do anything at all or is it just dead.

The pressure should be topped up to 1.6 bar to give the pressure switch a chance to reset.

Tony

Thanks for the reply. Well, last night I topped up the pressure to about 1.6 and switched it all on again. The boiler now fires up, but makes quite a bang when the flame kicks in. I left it on for a bit, but every time the room thermostat kicked in the boiler would spring into action - and then made a thumping noise once or twice. The boiler is also louder than it used to be, in that when fired up its humming noise is a bit weird. We get hot water for a few seconds and then it goes cold again - no central heating.

Should the boiler be left off to reset or should it be all on as per how it would normally be?

There is now also a small puddle of water below the boiler.

We have the Ideal engineer coming out - but he can only come on Monday! If we do need to replace this boiler, what boilers would you recommend?

Many thanks -

Sponsored Links
If the boiler is now firing up then its working from a gas point of view but should be chacked by a CORGI as the operating conditions may have changed when the regulator was changed. Even the new one may not be what the boiler extects.

Is it any quieter when the gas cooker has all the burners on?

Tony

Thanks - I will have to check. In your opinion, should we call another CORGI guy to look at it or just wait for the Ideal guy on Monday? I fear we may be looking at replacing the boiler. If so, can you recommend a good make/model. The 120 seemed to do ok in our house, size wise up until now.

the explosive ingnition and the puddle under the boiler suggests to me that your heat exchanger is leaking

Dont use it untill someone checks this out as it could be dangerous, if it is the heat exchanger then replacement would be better than replacing it

Dont get me started on a what new boiler is good, I hate them all

:)

Sounds VERY much like a broken heat exchanger. Common problem, especially on early Response models.

Like someone said: DON'T try to use it!

Also, bear in mind that the repair time for changing the HX is probably more than 3 hours (well - that's how long the last one (of 4 altogether over the years) took me). The cost of the part is (ISTR) £270-odd,

Can such a repair to an old, not very efficient boiler be justified? Not really.

HELLO THERE...

PLEASE PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP US!!

WE HAVE A IDEAL REP 120.

THE PROBLEM WE HAVE IS WHEN YOU HAVE A SHOWER OR RUN THE TAPS FOR HOT WATER THE BOILER FIRES UP AND PRODUCES REALLY HOT WATER FOR ABOUT 20 - 30 SECONDS THEN CUTS AND WE END UP WITH COLD WATER THEN IT WILL FIRE UP AGAIN AND SO ON, THIS WILL REPEAT IT UNTIL WE HAVE FINISHED OUR SHOWER ETC.

HOWEVER THE CENTRAL HEATING SEEMS TO BE WORKING OK I FIRED IT UP THIS SUNDAY JUST gone AND WORK ALL OK FOR A GOOD 30 - 45MINS WITH ALL RADS REALLY NICE AND HOT.

CAN ANYONE HELP? I haven't YET TOUCHED ANYTHING!!

MANY MANY THANKS

You are not meant to be adding to a two year old discussion!

Nor to type in capitals.

It was too tedious for me to try to read but you are lucky to have Dave ( Gas4You ) in your area and he just loves going to Ideal Response 120s.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back