DIY/cheap magnetic (or easy remove) secondary glazing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came across Magneglaze and this very old thread about them: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/are-magneglaze-any-good.140867/

I'm tempted by this sort of product as a stop-gap while we consider longer term options for our single glazed sashes... get us through the winter without rushing into expensive and permanent decisions. Right now my office window is right next to my elbow and late afternoon onwards I get a very noticeable cold draught regardless if the room is warm, right over my hands as I use the computer.

At ~£170 per window it's cheap enough as an interim BUT I've seen some sort of DIY products seemingly far cheaper... buy a sheet of clear plastic and some means of affixing it and job's a good'un.
But I don't know what to buy, especially for fitting/fixing, and don't want an eyesore even if it is temporary.

So any tips on this? Is it work the time VS cost saving?

Sponsored Links
Cheapest kit is a thin sheet of polythene taped at edges and heated gently with a hair dryer until taught.
Plastic sheet is more expensive can be fixed temporally with magnetic tape or fixed with double sided foam tape for a strong fix [but difficult to remove].

Cling film is too budget even for me, even for a single winter!

I get a Magneglaze quote of £150 for my office window which is half what I've seen from a competitor - but I can source 15m of similar(?) tape from http://www.magnetick.co.uk/Category/diy-magnetic-secondary-glazing-kit for £60 (£30 per window as it's a 15m roll) and a 3x2m sheet of 3mm cast acrylic for £132.
So I can buy the bits for two windows for £192, just over half the price of Magneglaze.

It seems OneStopPlasticShop sell the magnetic tape and so on as well these days... including a slightly more polished system http://www.theonestopplasticsshop.co.uk/magnetglaze-deluxe-8ft-white-p-8751.html

I'm not sure how fiddly it will be to do this Vs just paying a premium and using my time for something else!

Sponsored Links
Those look like some of the same products on One stop Plastic Shop. I'm a little nervous about screwing into my sash panels and had thought an adhesive approach would be easier to remove without damage (other than paint maybe)? I wonder if I could use adhesive with Superglaze?

Screws will cause less damage than adhesive, just a small hole to fill and you will be replacing eventually?

I can't see why I'd ever be replacing the inside lining, the windows are an original period feature. Though I suppose you're right that small holes are easily filled. It's more likely we might have the wood stripped back and re-painted one day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back