DIY concrete ramp advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The mother in law has recently purchased a mobility scooter and has asked if I could build a concrete ramp up to the level of the PVC door threshold.

This is my first concreting project and just had a couple of questions (I'll be using Blue Circle High Strength Concrete as this is what Blue Circle recommended for the project);

-this concrete ramp will be laid over am existing concrete path up to the front door. The max thickness of the new concrete ramp will be 100mm feather down to 10mm. How long do you reckon it will be before we can walk on the new concrete ramp as obviously assess will be required to the front door ASAP?

-is there any issue with laying the concrete against the PVC door frame so that the top of the ramp meets the height of the threshold?

-I'll lay some polythene sheeting over the new concrete for around 7 days, is that correct? Anything else I should be aware of?

Cheers,
Jimmy

Sponsored Links
10mm concrete wont be very strong. Best to keep it all above 75mm if possible?

As SpecialK says, it needs thickening at the bottom of the slope. I usually dig a trench so minimum depth is 4” for foot traffic

Attachments

• 7DCEB55B-2B64-4B12-A724-84AF075263BD.jpeg
    7DCEB55B-2B64-4B12-A724-84AF075263BD.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 31
I wonder if a metal ramp might be easier.

If you want to walk on young concrete, put a board on the polythene.

Sponsored Links
for access,
Buy a sheet of OSB and have it cut to size as a cover.
add some strips for grip (even chicken wire) if needed.

don’t smooth the concrete, “saw” the top for a grip finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back