DIY Cupboard doors? Ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks. First time posting, im just after a few ideas/suggestions on what type/look cupboard doors to put on my first ever joinery diy project :oops: :D

The only thing Ive ever built was my GCSE box (7 years ago) and I recently just plucked up the courage to make 2 alcove units. Cupboards underneath and shelves on top. Im now stuck as to what doors to make and put on it.

What would others choose and how would you go about making them???

Below are a few pictures :)

Thanks, Chris

387d8f2b.jpg

98f9842f.jpg

Sponsored Links
i assume you are after surface mounted doors ??
use 50mm flush hinges no4 x12 mm screws [3mmx12mm screws]
and 12mm mdf and use beading on each door to give interest
all thought that socket is a bit close how far is it from the cupboard opening

Thanks for the reply :). The socket is about 85mm from socket face to opening.

After googleing what you mean by surface mounted then yes :LOL: I did pick up some 30mm fluch hindges if they would be any good?

As for mdf is there anyway simmilar could be done with the ply I have? I have sheets and sheets of 12mm ply (same as everything else) but I dont know if it would look too "plain". It does have a special surface side to the ply? Marina ply? See I have no idea! Haha

you seem to have brackets within the frame this would stop you using flush doors

yes you can use ply but if your ply has hollows where the screws go then they wont hold
are you sure its marine ply or just exterior ??
where did you get your ply from if its marine it will be around £50 a sheet

Sponsored Links
My dad :D

Hes a dryliner and often uses sheets of regular ply. This ply he occasionally forgets to unload a sheet, and I simply help make a space in his garage ;)

It has a redder side to it... Stains really nice

The hidges I got were pence so can go get some more if not big enough?

The brackets in the frame are far enough back to alloy anything upto the thinkness of 12mm unless that would t be enough?

If doors out of ply could you reconmend the vest way to make them? Or a ste which wouldnt look to plain?

as i said above add a beading around 2-3 inches from the edge to form a moulding

in general i wouldn't normaly go for exposed ply edging as they can look "un finished"
this includes splintering out when cutting across the grain

but as you have the material already you will have to make it work ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back