Ideas for DIY cupboard space.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright chaps, as the title says really, need your help as to what is going to be the best and most cost effective way of making some shelp space whist also looking the part.

We basically have a room space of apprximately 2.5-3.0metres in length x standard height ceiling.

We currently have a set of drawers and a cupboard with a tv st on the chest of drawers.

We were wanting a curtain rail for plenty of hanging space with planty of room for shelving.

The ideas we have are simple ones.

1. Everything built with mdf exactly the way we want it with a curtain that runs the length of the room hiding everything, this is my partners idea and to be wuite honest im not sure at all.

2. sliding mirrored wardrobes which ideally if I can manage to do it and its not too expensive it would be my ideal choice, basically thinking it wont make the room look much smaller and it would be a much tidier job.

3. ?????? help

Would be rateful for any of your ideas or something you may have done on your own projects or for someone else.

Thanks chaps, regards Paul...

Sponsored Links
ok my thoughts
mirrored doors 9-10ft £500-£700

3 individual pairs 2ft deep 38" wide and 8ft heigh 3x12mm mdf sheets per section at£15=135 plus hanging rails and other fittings £60 =195
some timber glue screws ect £60=£255

so around £300 without mirrord doors [mdf instead]

and £900 with mirrored doors

an example 3 doors
http://www.superglide.co.uk/index.asp?checkout=1

incase that times out
Product Name: Full Length made to measure sliding doors: Mirrors, Woodgrain, Coloured glass and Designer panels.
Remove
3 doors up to 2660mm Wide
£475.95
Overall Frame Width: 2660 mm
Overall Frame Height: 2400 mm

Product Options:
Door Frame Colour: White Oak
£35.00
Door Panel Colours: Mirror - Clear
£0.00
£0.00
£0.00
Front Frame Pack: White
£95.00

Order Total:

£605.95

Grand Total:

£605.95
Grand total includes VAT and free deliver

Thanks mate, when you look at it that way there is no comparison. im a self employed landscaper so with it being winter its getting a little quiet so money is going to be tight.

What would you do to decorate the mdf just paint it?

could possibly add a little decorative moulding to finish it off.

Wanted to hang our tv on the wall so its hidden and just open a door or two when we wanted to watch, trying to keep things as minimalist as poss.

Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated, Paul...

Sponsored Links
what is the physical width off the telly!!!

We dont acualy have it yet, the one we are using at the minute is a huge thing but the one we will purchase at xmas is a 32" so im assuming it will be roughly 28" in length, thanks for your help Paul...

I had something similar, my house being an old back to back terrace had 2 sets of stairs up the middle, so with one set removed we had a long cupboard in its place.

So I removed the parttion wall & replced that with mirrored doors obtained for free from Freecycle (I have seen several sets given away there as people change rooms around).

They are smoked glass but dont make the room look small, in fact the opposite because of the reflective effect.

So with the front all covered with sliding doors, for the inside I considered building wardrobes, but also considered how good they would be and the time it would take along with the cost & eventually decided to get some of the PAX range wardrobes (without doors) from Ikea.
Much quicker & better built than I could do.

They fitted just right & have pull out wire draws etc.

Cant find a pic right now.

Ideally thats what I would like to do but I woul dhave to be quite lucky to get my hands on some at a decent enough price for me to make it cost effective although I totally agree on what your saying.

had a look on eby quite a bit recently and everything seems to be quite a bit further south than where we are.

realy liking those Fox, I know for a fact when I show these to my partner she will want something matching that, she would be over the moon if they were in our room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back