DIY disaster any help from plumbing/heating expert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner has put in a new bathroom suite..... b and q's cheapest and what a leaking nightmare. For approx a week heating etc.. has been off whilst he fits bathroom and puts up a new heated towel rail. Now the boiler won't come on, sometimes fires then stops after a few seconds. And the radiators won't come on.

Anybody got any ideas, my partner thinks it could possibly be an airlock in the radiator but would it have this effect??

He did stop the water for a while , and link up the new pipe work to the towel rail.

(think i may be avoiding the inevitable which is to get a plumber!!)
Thanks Anna x

Sponsored Links
sounds more like a airlock in the pump.

is it an open vented system or combi etc ?

tut tut..! every job to there own is what i say do what your good at then pay a pro what he is good at! only way forward.

most likley an air lock can be a pain to get out

Sponsored Links
Without knowing the boiler model and type of system there can be all sorts of causes and little is gained by guessing.

Whilst many parts of a job can be done as DIY I always recommend that a plumber caps off the supplies first and reconnects the new fittings up.

Whilst a good DIYer can usually change a rad successfully, others get in a muddle when trying to get it going again and a boiler engineer to check it and give it a service is often a good idea.

Tony

Anna

For peace of mind and no more leaks why don't you get a plumber in, it doesn't sound like a big job and will be alot cheaper than a new ceiling

My partner thought it may be an air lock.

It is an open vent systen
and the boiler is ideal classic lxff and ff faned flue gas boiler
How would somebody go about removing an air lock?

Thanks so much for your advice. My partner is a builder by trade but obviously not a plumber :) He would like to give it a go, but if to no avail we will definately call a plumber.

Again thanks so much for you advice [/b]

could be any number of things, bread and butter for a decent plumber/heating eng.
just for the record, being a builder isnt a trade!

check the header tank in the loft has water in

check the pump is actually running (try turning the speed up)

bleed all the rads

first :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back