DIY disaster pictures not wanted

from the point of view of stopping jamming i belive its best if the blade is moving gast but you move through the workpeice slowly.

the trouble with power tools (particularlly hand held ones) though is what happens when they do jam. with most hand tools there just isn't the power there to do serious damage before you notice it.

Sponsored Links
onced planed a bit off the bottom of a door with an electric plane,my shirt got caught in the plane and it ripped it off my back very scary it took about a tenth of a second

thats one of those moments when you stop look at whats happened think blimey that was close, and then about 5 seconds later go all hot sweaty and light headed for a few minutes when it relly hits you what could have happened!

watch out for hedge trimmers too, and the reaction of a hand to grab something when in pain. the two dont mix as i found to my cost! still i can drill into the top of one of my fingers without feeling it now! :eek:

Thermo, I think it was you, but I was thinkng about you as I was using my new 18v Makita yesterday. Slotted screw, had to work close, screw was getting a bit tight, just a quick squeeze on the trigger and that babies toast, so I thought, whack 18v battery straight on the chin, fortuately not hard enough to hurt but enough to remind me of your simial predicament.

Moral of the story, face away from powerful cordless screwdrivers :D

Sponsored Links
I too learnt the hard way with an SDS Max drill making a 30mm hole through stone. The going was hard so I used my shoulder to help push until the bit jammed next thing I know I'm lying on the floor with a bigh gash on my forehead and a little later on 5 stitches at casualty!!!! :oops: :oops:

yep twas me, and yep i also managed to smack myself in the face with an ds and a core bit. got a nice lump on my cheek for that one. also ended up at the eye hospital the other week . id been cutting railway sleepers all day, dust everywhere no problem. end of the day i bend down to pick up a tool as im clearing up, gust of wind and whack a piece of sawdust embeds itself in my eye!

can you see a pattern forming here! :cry:

Hope you're not using old sleepers for garden projects, they're not allowed anymore. New sleepers only :D

actually, common misconception there. you cant use old ones where cildren come into contact, it can contaminate the food chain or water. Having said that they are big ugly heavy, difficult to cut and smelly as well as the fact they leak during hot weather. I never use them and always use green oak (still heavy) or new treated softwood sleepers (much lighter perfectly straight and very easy to work with)

if theres a risk of them being carconogenic then i figure that if im the one using them all the time then its got to increase the risk to me. So i refuse to use them.

Yeah, tell me about the difficult to cut!! Full of "artifacts" as well, nervous using a chainsaw....... you should be.

i dont use a cjhainsaw where i canavoid it and if i do i wear all the protection and im very carful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back