DIY fallout shelter [potential sticky]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
trump.png

Bit of a last minute thing, but I've been researching making a fallout shelter in time for next week.

I found this www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/outdoors/tips/a6662/how-to-turn-your-living-room-into-a-fallout-shelter/ but it seems a bit basic.

I thought a better solution may be in blocks and concrete, but things like should it be concrete blocks or thermalite and what code lead to use crop up.

The other option of a garden chair and bottle of red wine, (certainly not Vodka) may be more suitable, and sod the DIY?

Sponsored Links
Before you do anything you need to call up the useless bastards at your local council to see if you need and planning permission for this.

A fallout shelter up to 30m2 internal floor area is specifically excluded from planning permission or building regs.

It's possible that this is to prevent shelters being registered, so your neighbours don't find out and try to force entry.

If you are digging, the bottom of the excavation has to be at least its own depth distant from the nearest building to protect from slippage.

It's interesting to note that at the end of the cold war, when the Soviet targeting plans became available, we realised that Portsmouth, for example, which is well-equipped with secret bunkers, had so many warheads targeted on it that they would all have been inside the crater.

Satellite pics have presumably identified many other suitable targets since then, and multiple re-entry should see them all vapourised.

Only the missiles that are already on their way have a chance of escaping (both ways)

Sponsored Links
Do you think I can just wing it on the planning and building regulations and be grateful if I am here afterwards to get an enforcement letter? Would the postal service still be delivering?

Before you do anything you need to call up the useless bastards at your local council to see if you need and planning permission for this.
I'm after a quote for drainage. Clay pipes though, and cement joints due to temperatures.

Do you think I can just wing it on the planning and building regulations and be grateful if I am here afterwards to get an enforcement letter?

You need a permission slip off @pilsbury
, then you can do whatever the **** you like, without fear of enforcement :cool:

Slightly off topic but what always makes me smile is what happens in many of the Hollywood movies about surviving a nuke attack in the US.
It seems that everyone in suburbia has to load up the pick-up with ammo and survival supplies (and the family labrador) and head for the hills. But when they get into the hills, all they seem to do is fight off their neighbours from taking over the little miner's abandoned log cabin they've found.

Surely in an emergency, it's best to stay as close as possible to home, where you at least know your surroundings.

Surely in an emergency, it's best to stay as close as possible to home, where you at least know your surroundings
Do you mean home where it is now, or home where it's blown to 10 miles away?

I'm taking names for membership of a marauding gang, BTW if anyone is interested. Pilsbury is incharge of procurement so that post has gone.

It's interesting to note that at the end of the cold war, when the Soviet targeting plans became available, we realised that Portsmouth, for example, which is well-equipped with secret bunkers, had so many warheads targeted on it that they would all have been inside the crater.

Satellite pics have presumably identified many other suitable targets since then, and multiple re-entry should see them all vapourised.

Only the missiles that are already on their way have a chance of escaping (both ways)
A quick look and it seems that there are targets all over the place near me in every direction. So I may end up going the garden chair option

I have 3 foot thick stone walls :)
Need to put camping gas on the shopping list....

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links