DIY Filing cabinet fixings help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im trying to turn an existing drawer into a filing cabinet using some 8mm steel rods. As can be seen in the picture, the rods are the correct size to do what i need them to do but the issue is I can't work out how to attach them to the drawer sides. The depth of the drawer is too shallow to drill holes to insert the rods into so it will need to be something that can secure the rods to the top of the drawer sides. The drawer sides are 18mm wide.

If there are any fixings you can link me to it would be most appreciated.

Any ideas?

IMG_1941[3275].JPG
IMG_1942[3273].JPG

Sponsored Links
yeah they just need securing so they dont slip left or right or fall into the drawer some movement is ok though. I will have a look thanks.

Sponsored Links
Drill hole to front stopping 5mm short of front, at rear drill thru back and then slide rod into back and bring forward into hole at front secure with a touch of glue or screw thru top of rear to trap rod.

Foxhole, theres not enough depth to allow that otherwise that would be the desired solution. the rod needs to sit on top of the drawer sides, in any case the cabinet is going from left to right rather than front to back.

The saddle clips look a little industrial really not sure they would go with the style of the drawers to be honest, plus Im not sure they woudl stop the rod moving and ultimately falling into the draw. I've seen these http://www.e-shopfittings.co.uk/rod...r/aluminium_verical_rod_clip_8mm/12792_p.html which look ideal but theres no info on how you fix them and the sizes.

Cheers

Last edited:
Again, those things are usually hidden, the clips need to go with the style of the drawers really and fit the part. A chrome/stainless steel saddle clip like originally linked to but with an end cap to stop the rod slipping out would do it maybe.

Last edited:
In that case you could use these screwed to the top to achieve the same.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/white-as...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN652IDfttcCFeSP7Qod-gYF3Q

The link in your post is for a hook (coat hook) for mounting on rod as a shop fitting.

Ok, but would it not do what I want if i attach two of those either side with the rod in between?

Its not a coat hook, its used for things like estage agents window displays etc. Its for a 8mm rod. Theres no information on it on the site. Im a complete novice with what these things are called and trying to google what I think they could be called gives some interesting results. I guess the hole goes striaght through though so I have the same issue as with the saddle clips.

Two of the coat hooks.

Think I'm looking for a saddle clip back a back panel to stop the rod sliding out the back of it. I cant see anything linked to at e-shopfittings that I could use unfortunately.

The other option is to make a notch in the top of the cabinet sides for the rod to sit in but that could get very messy.

The floor and ceiling fittings you linked to would be good if the rod was able to be attached horizontally out of them rather than vertically only. If they did those that were attached to the wall rather than the ceiling.

Thats a great idea, a bit beyond my ability though unfortunately. I ask around to see if I know anyone who can do this. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back