DIY Filing cabinet fixings help

Sponsored Links
From time to time I do a job where the various finishes on the screws are not suitable. Usually a colour issue. I find that getting the right size screws and screwing them into a some scrap wood and then simply spray paint the heads. Lots of colour paints around for applying to metal. Then do the fixings first with an ordinary unpainted screw and if no problems getting it in just replace it with the painted ones.

Whilst thinking of painting it also occurred to me you could fit a batten across the sides full length with rebated slots on the underside to trap your rails. Paint the batten whatever colour you like, either to compliment existing or to contrast. (Remove for painting after trial fitting)

Edited multiple times to correct my spelling!

From time to time I do a job where the various finishes on the screws are not suitable. Usually a colour issue. I find that getting the right size screws and screwing them into a some scrap wood and then simply spray paint the heads. Lots of colour paints around for applying to metal. Then do the fixings first with an ordinary unpainted screw and if no problems getting it in just replace it with the painted ones.

Whilst thinking of painting it also occurred to me you could fit a batten across the sides full length with rebated slots on the underside to trap your rails. Paint the batten whatever colour you like, either to compliment existing or to contrast. (Remove for painting after trial fitting)

Edited multiple times to correct my spelling!
That's a great solution!

Just to add, I've used pipe clips to hold my net curtain rails in place (15mm dowel, 15mm clips), and that doesn't move at all (although it is wood, more friction). If that arrangement did move for you it's nothing some insulation tape wrapped round the rod wouldn't cure. The one in pic is a Talon 15mm pipe clip. 8mm is a micro-bore size I believe, so you could perhaps find similar pipe clips for 8mm. I know they do 10mm ones.

full

Sponsored Links
Cheers for all the help, first time poster so really appreciate it.

I've gone for the modesty blocks in the end, despite dismissing them initially, they are quite a neat solution. See picture of how it looks. Drilled an 8mm hole and the rods are nice and snug, just need to get some black screws and I'm set.

IMG_1950.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back